Cloud Has Big Game for Shoremen in Loss
HAVERFORD, Pa. — Host Haverford College overcame an early 4-1 deficit to post a 9-7 Centennial Conference men's lacrosse win over visiting Washington College tonight.
Haverford 9, Washington College 7
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored twice in the first four minutes and took a 4-1 lead when Peter Jacobs scored off a Casey Grieves assist with 4:56 remaining in the first quarter. Stephen DeLeo scored off a Patrick Girard feed with 44 seconds to go to get the Fords back to within two and Isaac Krier scored 11 seconds later to cut the margin to one before the end of the first quarter.
- Haverford carried that momentum over into the second quarter, scoring the first three goals of the period to take a 6-4 lead following a Ben Frost goal with 3:17 on the clock. Charlie Walker scored off a Trey Ritter assist 1:12 later for Washington to get the Shoremen to within one at 6-5.
- Frost opened the third-quarter scoring 1:04 into the period for a 7-5 Haverford lead. Neither team scored again for the next 10:32 before the Fords scored two of the final three goals of the third to bring a 9-6 lead into the fourth following a Brian Geffroy goal off a Kevin Goshorn assist with 15 seconds to go in the third.
- The Shoremen scored the only goal of the fourth quarter, but it wasn't enough as the Fords held on for the 9-7 win.
For the Shoremen (7-4, 2-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: Jacobs (2 goals), Grieves (goal, 2 assists); Walker (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Ben Flood (7 saves, 9 goals alloed, 60:00)
- Sam Cloud had 10 ground balls and two caused turnovers in the game.
- The Shoremen held a 35-29 advantage in shots in the game.
For Haverford (5-6, 2-3 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: DeLeo (3 goals), Frost (2 goals), Geffroy (2 goals)
- In Goal: Dylan Slack (15 saves, 7 goals allowed, 60:00)
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/21 @ #11 Franklin & Marshall - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)