Grieves Sets New Career High With 10 Points
WESTMINSTER, Md. — Casey Grieves (Easton, Md. / Sts. Peter & Paul) factored into visiting Washington College's first five goals and finished with a career high 10 points as the Shoremen cruised to a 16-8 win over host McDaniel in a Centennial Conference men's lacrosse game played this afternoon at Gill Field in Westminster, Maryland.
Washington College 16, McDaniel 8
How It Happened
- Tyler Powers opened the scoring for the Shoremen, scoring off of an assist from Grieves with 12:14 to go in the opening quarter. Cooper Sloan doubled the lead just 25 seconds later, scoring off another Grieves assist to give the Shoremen a 2-0 lead. Powers then pushed the lead to 3-0, scoring off a third Grieves assist with 10:54 to go in the opening quarter. Grieves would then score a goal of his own with 9:02 to go in the opening quarter to give the Shoremen a 4-0 advantage, and would score an unassisted goal again with 6:28 to go to push the lead to 5-0.
- Tanner Barbieri scored off of an assist from Peter Jacobs with 3:08 to go in the opening quarter to push the lead to 6-0, and Grieves quickly followed with an unassisted goal to complete his first quarter hat trick and give Washington a 7-0 lead after the first. The Shoremen held a 20-1 advantage in shots after the opening quarter of play.
- Kevin Trapp pushed the lead to 8-0, scoring off a Trey Ritter assist with 8:30 to go in the second quarter.
- McDaniel got on the board with 3:23 to go in the half on an unassisted goal from Carson Marshall, but Grieves pumped in back-to-back goals, coming off of assists from Powers and Jacobs, to push the lead back up to 10-1 with 2:42 to go until halftime.
- Marshall would score a man-down goal for McDaniel, coming off an assist from Devon Maranto to cut the lead to 10-2 with 2:00 to go until halftime and cap the first half scoring.
- Washington came out of the locker room on fire again, scoring the first four goals of the third quarter to push the lead to 14-2 on a goal from Jacobs with 11:37 to play in the third quarter. Bryce Brookhart ended the run for McDaniel by scoring a man-up goal off an assist from Jackson Reilly with 6:29 to play in the third quarter to cut the lead to 14-3. Sam Mutz added a man-up goal with 4:55 to go in the third quarter to make it a 14-4 Shoremen lead after three quarters of play.
- McDaniel would outscore the Shoremen 4-2 in the fourth quarter to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (7-3 Overall, 2-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Grieves (career high tying 6 goals, career high 4 assists, career high 10 points), Powers (3 goals, 1 assist), Jacobs (2 goals, 3 assists), Sloan (1 goal, 1 assist), Quinn Willis (1 goal), JP Crowley (1 goal), Trapp (1 goal), Barbieri (1 goal), Ritter (1 assist), Sean Reilly (1 assist).
- Goalie: Ben Flood (10 saves, 4 goals allowed, 45:00), Chris Del Rosario (5 saves, 3 goals allowed, 13:01), Connor Cunningham (1 save, 1 goal allowed, 1:59).
- Skyler Clark went 14-for-20 on face-offs as the Shoremen went 17-for-25 as a team.
- The Shoremen outshot McDaniel 45-36 and held a 35-30 advantage in ground balls.
For McDaniel (6-5 Overall, 1-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Micah Brooks (3 goals), Marshall (2 goals), Reilly (1 goal, 1 assist), Mutz (1 goal, 1 assist), Brookhart (1 goal)
- Goalie: Jakob Katzen (13 saves, 16 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Joey Conklin and Cole Ostendarp each caused a game high five turnovers with Conklin adding a game high eight ground balls.
- McDaniel forced 20 Washington turnovers and went 2-for-9 on their man-up opportunities.
- With today's win, the Shoremen have now won the last 19 meetings against the Green Terror, a streak which began with a 12-8 Washington win in the semifinals of the 2002 Centennial Conference tournament.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/7 v. Muhlenberg - 5:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- The Shoremen scored the last seven goals of the game to pull away to a 13-3 win over Muhlenberg last year, their seventh consecutive win over the Mules.
- The game will also serve as Senior Day for the Shoremen.
- The game is also on the day of the inaugural Goose Nation Family Reunion. More information on the Goose Nation Family Reunion can be found at http://www.washingtoncollegesports.com/general/2017-18/releases/20180305hfle59