Ritter Scores Four Goals as Shoremen Overcome Early 7-2 Deficit
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. — Visiting Washington College overcame an early 7-2 deficit to rally for a 13-12 Centennial Conference men's lacrosse victory over host Ursinus College tonight.
Washington College 13, Ursinus 12
How It Happened
- The Bears scored off the opening face-off as Rei Lopez won the face-off and assist on a goal by Bobby McClure seven seconds into the game. Peter DeSimone increased the lead to 2-0 with a goal with 8:22 left in the first quarter and Ian Desenberg followed with a goal off a McClure assist with 4:24 on the clock.
- Nine seconds later, the Shoremen got on the board when Casey Grieves scored off a Peter Jacobs assist. Washington cut the margin to 3-2 on a Trey Ritter tally with 1:40 to play in the period, but the Bears countered with a goal by Desenberg off a Gerard Brown feed 57 seconds later. Ursinus scored again just nine seconds after that as Noah Frantz found the back of the net off a Patrick Bernicker feed for a 5-2 advantage with 34 seconds left in the first.
- Two goals in the first minute of the second quarter extended the Ursinus lead to 7-2 as DeSimone assisted on a Hakan Atillasoy goal with 14:11 left in the second. Washington scored the next three goals to make it 7-5; Walker finished the run with with 9:50 left in the quarter to make it 7-5 before Sam Isola countered for the Bears with 7:12 remaining. The Shoremen then scored back-to-back goals to cut the lead down to one at 8-7 on a Ritter tally with 4:52 left before halftime. Desenberg scored an extra-man goal for the Bears off a Joe Mercurio assist with 2:51 on the clock to give Ursinus a 9-7 advantage, but Jacobs answered for Washington with 1:29 to go to cut the lead back down to one at 9-8.
- The Shoremen came out firing on all cylinders in the third quarter. Tyler Powers scored off a Jacobs pass with 9:30 to go, Nick Boyles found the back of the net 38 seconds later, Jacobs scored off a Boyles feed at 4:33, and Powers scored a man-down goal off a Charles Walker assist with 3:37 to go for a 12-9 Shoremen lead. Ursinus did manage to score before the end of the quarter as McClure found the back of th net following a Desenberg pass to make it 12-10.
- DeSimone opened the fourth-quarter scoring with an extra-man goal off a Mercurio assist with 10:35 left to pull Ursinus to within one at 12-11. Ritter answered for the Shoremen with a goal off a Tanner Barbieri feed with 6:03 left to give Washington a 13-11 advantage.
- The Bears once again got back to within a goal, this time on a Brown goal off a McClure assist with 3:35 to go in the game. The Bears' final possession of the game was ended by a caused turnover from Washington's Patrick Sullivan. Austin Hepburn III picked up the ground ball and the Shoremen successfully cleared it with 10 seconds to go.
For the Shoremen (6-3, 1-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: Ritter (career-high 4 goals); Powers (3 goals); Jacobs (2 goals, 2 assists); Walker (goal, 3 assists), Grieves (2 goals), Boyles (goal, 2 assists)
- In Goal: Ben Flood (11 saves, 12 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Shoremen committed just eight turnovers in the game to 14 for Ursinus.
For Ursinus (1-7, 0-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: McClure (3 goals, 3 assists); Desenberg (3 goals, assist); DeSimone (2 goals, assist); Brown (goal, assist)
- In Goal: Nick Kirk (2 saves, 8 goals allowed, 30:00); Elliott Shevitz (5 saves, 5 goals allowed, 30:00)
- The Bears held a narrow 37-36 edge in shots and won 18 of the game's 29 face-offs.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/31 @ McDaniel - 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)