Grieves Scores Five Goals In The Loss
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting 11th ranked Dickinson jumped out to a 9-1 lead and cruised to a 14-8 win over host Washington College in a Centennial Conference men's lacrosse game played today on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The game was the Centennial opener for both teams.
#11 Dickinson 14, Washington College 8
How It Happened
- Dickinson took control of the game early by starting the game on a 4-0 run, capped by a goal from Tyler Strods with 4:59 to go in the opening quarter.
- Peter Jacobs stopped the run for the Shoremen, scoring off a Nick Boyles assist with 2:11 to go in the quarter to cut the lead to 4-1.
- The Red Devils would then go on a 5-0 run to open up a 9-1 lead courtesy of a Tucker Carney goal with 14:02 to play in the second quarter.
- The Shoremen would score the next three goals to cut the lead to 9-4 on a goal from Jacobs, coming off a Cody Pascale assist with 5:22 to play in the opening half.
- Nate Usich would round out the first half scoring, finishing off an assist from Dylan Maher to give Dickinson a 10-4 lead with 3:40 to go in the opening half.
- Dickinson held a 29-16 advantage in shots at the halftime break and took the first 15 shots of the game.
- Each team scored four goals in the second half, as the Shoremen got no closer than five goals on a goal from Casey Grieves off of a Charlie Walker assist with 6:15 to go which made the score 13-8.
- Carney rounded out the scoring on an unassisted goal with 4:53 to go to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (5-3 Overall, 0-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Grieves (five goals), Jacobs (two goals, one assist), Cooper Sloan (three assists), Walker (two assists), Kevin Trapp (one goal), Boyles (one assist), Pascale (one assist).
- Goalie: Ben Flood (nine saves, 14 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Tim Hickey scooped up a team high seven ground balls and also caused three turnovers, while Graham Hulsey also caused three turnovers for the Shoremen.
- Washington turned the ball over 17 times while forcing 19 turnovers from the Red Devils.
For #11 Dickinson (6-2 Overall, 1-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Strods (five goals), Brodie Phillips (two goals, four assists), Carney (three goals), Maher (two goals, one assist), Jack O'Connell (one goal, one assist), Usich (one goal), Nick Goles (one assist).
- Goalie: Cole Pellicano (eight saves, eight goals allowed, 60:00).
- Carney tied Hickey with a game high seven ground balls.
- Usich added five ground balls and three caused turnovers, while Jack Doran added four ground balls and three caused turnovers for the Red Devils.
- Dickinson outshot Washington 46-31 and held a 40-29 advantage in ground balls.
- The Red Devils went 13-for-22 on face-offs and 2-for-6 on their man up chances.
- Grieves was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the third time in his career. This is his third game of the season in which he has scored five goals.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/28 @ Ursinus - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)