Ritter Tallies Four Points, Flood Makes 15 Saves
GALLOWAY, N.J. — The Washington College men's lacrosse team improved to 4-1 this season with a 12-7 win over host Stockton University in non-conference action this afternoon.
Washington College 12, Stockton 7
How It Happened
- Peter Jacobs scored the game's first goal, off an assist from Cooper Sloan, with 10:18 to play in the first quarter. The Ospreys evened the score when Eric Ellis found the back of the net off an assist from Mike Caposella with 4:58 to go in the period. Trey Ritter put the Shoremen back in front with a goal off an assist from Nick Boyles with 1:27 to go in the first. The Shoremen tacked on a third goal before the end of the period as Sloan assisted on an extra-man goal by Casey Grieves with 10 seconds showing.
- Jacobs extended the lead to 4-1 off an assist from Ritter with 10:37 left in the second. Cody Pascale scored the Shoremen's fifth goal with 8:09 showing. Tyler Powers scored an extra-man goal off a Boyles assist at 6:18 to make it 6-1. Patrick Sullivan followed with a goal off a Grieves assist 1:11 later. Elliis answered for Stockton with a goal off a Zack Aho assist at 3:26 and the Ospreys scored again at 1:52 when Caposella scored off a Tommy Gallo feed to make it 7-3. Jacobs netted a goal 47 seconds later to give Washington an 8-3 before the half.
- Powers opened the third-quarter scoring off a Pascale assist with 8:41 on the clock. Jamar Hall scored for Stockton off an assist from Colin Shea at 5:11 to get the Ospreys back within five at 9-4. Ritter then scored off a Pascale assist for the Shoremen with 13 seconds to go, but Aho answered for the Ospreys 11 seconds later as the game headed to the fourth quarter with the Shoremen ahead, 10-5.
- Tanner Barbieri opened the fourth-quarter scoring for Washington at 10:13. Stockton again cut the lead back to five, this time on a goal by Luc Swedlund off an Erik Anderson assist at 7:43, but Ritter countered for the Shoremen at 6:02 for a 12-6 lead. Swedlund scored again off an Anderson assist at the 2:50 mark to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (4-1)
- Scoring Leaders: Ritter (3 goals, assist); Jacobs (3 goals); Pascale (goal, 2 assists) Powers (2 goals); Grieves (goal, assist); Sloan (2 assists); Boyles (2 assists)
- In Goal: Ben Flood (15 saves, 7 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Carson Metzker went 14-for-20 on face-offs for the Shoremen with seven ground balls.
- The Shoremen held a 47-41 advantage in shots. They went 2-for-5 on extra-man opportunities while holding Stockton without an extra-man goal in seven chances.
For Stockton (0-2)
- Scoring Leaders: Ellis (2 goals); Swedlund (2 goals); Caposella (goal, assist); Aho (goal, assist); Anderson (2 assists)
- In Goal: Justin Ruiz (11 saves, 12 goals allowed, 60:00)
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/14 @ Bridgewater - 4:00 p.m.