Sloan And Barbieri Each Score Four Goals In The Win
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College used a 4-0 run in the fourth quarter to break a 9-9 tie and got four goals and four assists from Cooper Sloan to post a 13-10 win over visiting Frostburg State in a non-conference men's lacrosse game played today on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 13, Frostburg State 10
How It Happened
- The teams traded the first nine goals of the game as Frostburg State led 5-4 before Sloan posted back to back goals, both assisted by Trey Ritter, to give the Shoremen their first lead of the game at 6-5 with 2:33 to go until halftime.
- Keegan Colegrove capped the first half scoring with an unassisted goal with 18 seconds to go to send the teams into the locker room tied 6-6.
- Casey Grieves scored the first goal of the second half to put the Shoremen ahead 7-6 before the Bobcats scored back to back goals to take an 8-7 lead courtesy of a Colegrove extra man goal with 10:03 to go in the third quarter.
- Tanner Barbieri would then score back to back goals, the second coming off a Zack Gorrasi assist, to give the Shoremen a 9-8 lead with 4:18 to go in the third quarter. The Shoremen would carry that 9-8 lead into the fourth.
- Colegrove scored again with 12:31 to go in the fourth quarter to tie the game 9-9, but the Shoremen would then score the next four goals to put the game away. Sloan scored off of a Ritter assist with 10:28 to go to give the Shoremen the lead for good at 10-9. Tyler Powers then scored back to back goals, the second coming with 6:03 to go to put the Shoremen ahead 12-9. Sloan capped the run with an unassisted goal with 4:44 to go to give the Shoremen a 13-9 lead.
- Paul Ruppert capped the scoring with an extra man goal with 26 seconds to go.
For the Shoremen (3-1)
- Scorers: Sloan (four goals, four assists), Barbieri (four goals), Grieves (two goals, two assists), Powers (two goals), Ritter (three assists), Gorrasi (two assists), Peter Jacobs (one goal).
- Goalie: Flood (13 saves, 10 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Sam Cloud led the Shoremen on defense with seven ground balls and four caused turnovers.
- Washington held a 31-24 advantage in ground balls and went 16-for-18 in clear attempts, including a perfect 12-for-12 after the first quarter.
For Frostburg State (2-2)
- Scorers: Colegrove (four goals), Ruppert (three goals), Adam Gross (one goal, two assists), Justin Carroll (one goal), Jimmy Lucas (one goal).
- Goalie: Jack Marks (3 saves, 13 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Matt Pagliaro went 15-for-21 on face-offs and scooped up a game high eight ground balls.
- The Bobcats outshot the Shoremen 34-27 and went 3-for-5 on their man up opportunities.
- Grieves has at least three points in all four games this season, including 13 in the last two games.
- Flood made seven saves in the fourth quarter while allowing just the two goals.
- It was the second time this season that Cloud has had a game of seven ground balls and four caused turnovers. He also did so against Birmingham Southern in the season opener.
- Sloan was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game. His eight points today were a career high.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/10 @ Stockton - 1:00 p.m. (non-conference game)