Sloan Scores Four Goals in Loss for Shoremen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — 17th-ranked Ursinus College rallied from a three-goal deficit and led for only the final 1:13 of the game in a 10-8 Centennial Conference men's lacrosse win over host Washington College tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
#17 Ursinus 10, Washington College 8
How It Happened
- Cooper Sloan gave the Shoremen an early lead, scoring on their fourth shot of the game with 13:07 left in the first quarter before the Bears had an offensive possession. Bobby McClure evened the score by finding the back of the net on the first Ursinus shot with 11:31 on the clock. Washington regained the lead on a goal by Tyler Powers off a restart pass from Casey Grieves with 8:13 to play in the first. The Bears countered with a goal by Peter DeSimone 1:08 later. Sloan's second goal of the game, off a Brady O'Neill assist, put the Shoremen back in front, 3-2, with 4:10 left in the period. Tanner Barbieri gave the Shoremen their first two-goal lead of the game when he found the back of the net with 44 seconds remaining in the first. Gerard Brown countered for Ursinus with 10 seconds left in the period to set the score at 4-3 in favor of the Shoremen at the end of the first quarter.
- Sloan found the back of the net for the third time with 9:28 left in the second, though McClure answered for Ursinus with 8:57 remaining. Sloan scored his fourth goal 43 seconds after that, off a Powers assist for a 6-4 Shoremen lead. Neither team scored again before halftime as Washington took the two-goal advantage into the intermission.
- The Shoremen opened the third-quarter scoring when Alex Washington bounced in his first collegiate goal in transition with 13:45 left for a 7-4 lead. Brown then scored with 11:11 remaining to cut the margin back to two goals and Reagan Ketchum scored an extra-man goal off a Lou Harrison assist with 6:16 left to make the score 7-6. The Bears then leveled the game at 7-7 when Ian Desenberg scored a goal curling around the crease and taking a feed from Sam Isola at 5:22. Trey Ritter put the Shoremen back in front, 8-7, with a long shot off a Grieves assist from behind the net with 2:37 to go in the quarter. Desenberg tied the score again at 8-8, using a spin move to create space and fire in a point-blank goal with 1:44 on the clock.
- DeSimone gave the Bears their first lead on a goal off a quick pass back to him from Harrison with 1:13 left in the fourth quarter. The Bears won the ensuing face-off and called timeout with 33.1 seconds remaining. DeSimone then scored an insurance goal on an open net with 26.3 seconds to go to clinch the win.
For the Shoremen (5-4, 0-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring: Sloan (4 goals); Powers (goal, assist); Grieves (2 assists)
- In Goal: Ben Flood (11 saves, 10 goals allowed, 60:00)
For Ursinus (6-2, 1-1 Centennial Conference) 5-2, 0-1
- Scoring: DeSimone (3 goals); Brown (2 goals); McClure (2 goals); Desenberg (2 goals); Harrison (2 assists)
- In Goal: Elliott Shevitz (6 saves, 8 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Ursinus held a 33-32 advantage in shots in the game, but a 19-11 margin in the second half. The Bears also won 13 of the game's 22 face-offs, including seven of 10 in the second half.
- Sloan was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game during the webcast of the game.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/1 v. McDaniel - 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- The game against McDaniel will be the Shoremen's Senior Day game.