Powers Tallies Four Goals, Assists on Two Others in Win
FROSTBURG, Md. — Visiting Washington College scored the final five goals of the game to earn a 7-4 non-conference men's lacrosse victory over host Frostburg State this afternoon. Junior attackman Tyler Powers (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) scored or assisted on all but one of the Shoremen's goals as they remained unbeaten at 4-0 this season.
Washington College 7, Frostburg State 4
How It Happened
- Jake Howarth put the Bobcats on the board with a goal off an assist from Quinn Western with 5:41 remaining in the first quarter. The Shoremen evened the score with an extra-man goal by Casey Grieves off an assist from Powers with 57 seconds to play in the period.
- Washington then went ahead just 59 seconds into the second quarter when Powers scored off an assist from Austin Hepburn III. Frostburg then scored a pair of quick goals by Adam Gross and Paul Ruppert to take a 3-2 lead with 10:57 left before halftime. Ruppert then scored again with 8:12 on the clock, off an assist from Gross, as the lead grew to 4-2. Cooper Sloan scored the for the Shoremen with 5:31 to go to trim the lead back to a goal before halftime.
- Sloan opened the third-quarter scoring off an assist from Powers to even the score at 4-4 with 11:42 to play in the period. Powers put the Shoremen in front, 5-4, with a goal off an assist from Kevin Trapp with 4:10 remaining in third.
- Powers gave the Shoremen their first two-goal lead of the game with a goal off an assist from Nick Boyles with 13:34 to play in the fourth. Powers scored again with 6:22 left in the fourth quarter off another Boyles assist to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (4-0)
- Scoring: Powers (4 goals, 2 assists); Sloan (2 goals); Boyles (2 assists)
- In Goal: Ben Flood (11 saves, 4 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Skyler Clark went 8-for-12 on face-offs for the Shoremen.
For Frostburg State (2-2)
- Scoring: Ruppert (2 goals): Gross (1 goal, 1 assist)
- In Goal: Jack Marks (7 saves, 7 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Bobcats held a 35-29 advantage in shots, but the Shoremen outshot them, 11-4, in the fourth quarter.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/8 v. Coast Guard - 4:00 p.m.