Powers Scores Four Goals in Victory
ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. — Visiting Washington College used a 9-1 run in less than 18 minutes during the second half to pull away from host St. Mary's College of Maryland during a 14-8 non-conference men's lacrosse victory this afternoon. The Shoremen remained unbeaten at 3-0 this season with the win and got four goals from junior attackman Tyler Powers (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury).
Washington College 14, St. Mary's (Md.) 8
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored just 32 seconds into the game as Powers found the back of the net. Cooper Sloan followed with a goal with 7:59 to play in the first to give Washington a 2-0 lead before the Seahawks got on the board thanks to a Brendan Steele goal just 29 seconds later to cut the margin to 2-1. The Shoremen's third goal came from Kevin Trapp with just five second to go in the opening quarter,
- Each team scored once in the second quarter as Max Groen found the back of the net for St. Mary's with 6:19 on the clock and Powers scored off an Alex Washington assist with 5:38 left for a 4-2 halftime lead for the Shoremen.
- The Seahawks scored twice in the opening minute of the third quarter to level the score at 4-4. Mike Becraft assisted on a goal by Michael Bucci 23 seconds into the period and then scored a goal of his own just 18 seconds later.
- St. Mary's grabbed its first lead of the game on an extra-man goal by Connor Quinn with 13:36 left in the third. Powers evened things up for the Shoremen with a goal off a Peter Jacobs assist at 10:06, but the Seahawks moved back in front, 6-5, with an extra-man goal by Ray LaPlaca off an assist from Luke Eshleman with 6:52 to play in the third.
- The Shoremen then scored the next five goals. Trey Ritter scored with 3:10 to play in the third, Sloan followed with a goal at 2:25, and Tanner Barbieri scored off a Charles Walker assist with 1:14 showing to give Washington an 8-6 lead through three quarters. Barbieri opened the fourth-quarter scoring off a Casey Grieves assist with 13:30 left and then found Cole Handy for a goal 65 seconds later for a 10-6 lead.
- After Steele broke up the run with a goal off a LaPlaca assist with 11:52 left, the Shoremen scored four unanswered goals to put the game out of reach. Barbieri scored an extra-man goal off a Walker assist (9:58), Powers scored off a Ritter feed (8:19), Ritter scored (5:06), and Jacobs found the back of the net off a Ritter pass (39 seconds) for a 14-7 cushion. LaPlaca assisted on a goal by Tilghman Meiser for the Seahawks with 14 seconds left to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (3-0)
- Scoring: Powers (4 goals); Barbieri (3 goals, 1 assist); Ritter (2 goals, 2 assists); Sloan (2 goals); Jacobs (1 goal, 1 assist)
- In Goal: Ben Flood (11 saves, 8 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Powers also tallied three caused turnovers, while Barbieri had seven ground balls. The Shoremen held a 42-33 advantage in shots and forced 27 Seahawk turnovers.
For St. Mary's (0-4)
- Scoring: Steele (2 goals); LaPlaca (1 goal, 2 assists); Becraft (1 goal, 1 assist)
- In Goal: Max Alderman (11 saves, 14 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Bucci went 16-for-22 on face-offs with eight ground balls as the Seahawks won 18 of the game's 26 total draws. Conner Campbell racked up eight ground balls and four caused turnovers.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/4 @ Frostburg State - 1:00 p.m.