Sophomore Scores Half-Dozen Goals, Assists on Two Others in Win
ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Sophomore attackman Tyler Powers (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) scored a career-high six goals and had a career-best eight total points to lead the visiting Washington College men's lacrosse team to a 15-6 Centennial Conference win at Muhlenberg tonight in Allentown, Pa. The Shoremen scored the final 10 goals of the game.
Washington College 15, Muhlenberg 6
How It Happened
- Powers put the Shoremen on the board just 2:45 into the game off an assist from Matty Allen. Tanner Barbieri followed with an extra-man goal following an assist by Zachary Gorrasi with 9:44 left in the first before Powers scored again 40 seconds later. Powers then picked up his third goal of the quarter, this off an assist from Barbieri just nine seconds after that for a quick hat trick and 4-0 lead.
- The Mules got on the board with 7:42 left in the first quarter when Peter Zipf found Steven Casella for a goal. Muhlenberg scored again 64 seconds later as Niko Del Moro found the back of the net. Brad D'Alessandro then cut the lead to a single goal when he scored an extra-man marker off a Del Moro assist with 4:55 on the clock. The Shoremen got a goal back with Allen scored with 3:07 on the clock, but D'Alessandro countered just a minute later to set the score at 5-4 in favor of the Shoremen after one quarter.
- D'Alessandro's third goal of the night, with 11:54 to go in the second, knotted the score at 5-5. He scored again with 10:26 remaining, chalking up his fourth goal of the night to give Muhlenberg its first lead of the game at 6-5.
- Powers found the back of the net for his fourth goal of the game with 3:56 to go before halftime off an Allen feed to level the score at a half-dozen goals each. Kevin Trapp put Washington back in front with an extra-man goal off a Nick Boyles assist with 2:14 remaining as the Shoremen brought a 7-6 advantage into the intermission.
- The fifth goal of the game by Powers, off a Barbieri assist, extended the Washington lead to 8-6 with 11:26 to play in the third quarter. Powers then handed out an assist on a Barbieri extra-man goal with 4:52 left in the period as the lead grew to three. Boyles added the Shoremen's 10th goal off an Allen assist with 3:10 remaining.
- Powers opened the fourth-quarter scoring with his sixth goal, coming during an extra-man situation off a Trapp assist with 11:55 left. Barbieri tacked on an extram-man goal off a Peter Jacobs assist with 6:25 to play, while Allen scored the Shoremen's 13th 48 seconds later. Barbieri's goal with 3:00 remaining and Trapp's extra-man goal off a Powers assist with 1:49 left provided the final margin.
For the Shoremen (7-4, 3-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Powers (6 goals, 2 assists), Barbieri (4 goals, 2 assists), Allen (2 goals, 3 assists), Trapp (2 goals, 1 assist), Boyles (1 goal, 1 assist) Jacobs (1 assist), Gorrasi (1 assist)
- Goalies: Ben Flood (9 saves, 6 goals allowed, 58:11), Jackson Szurley (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 1:49)
- Kyle Gangemi went 17-for-22 on face-offs with 13 ground balls for the Shoremen, who won 19 of the game's 25 face-offs overall.
- The Shoremen out-shot the Mules, 48-26, and scored six extra-man goals in seven opportunities.
For Muhlenberg (3-9, 0-4 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: D'Alessandro (4 goals), Del Moro (1 goal, 1 assist), Casella (1 goal), Zipf (1 assist)
- Goalie: Kyle Larkin (15 saves, 15 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Shoremen surpassed their win total from all of last season with the victory.
- Powers has now scored 11 goals over the Shoremen's past two games.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/13 @ #19 Ursinus - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)