Barbieri Scores Three Goals, Has Two Assists in Win
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College improved to 3-0 at home and 3-1 overall this season with a 9-4 non-conference men's lacrosse win over Berry College this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. Sophomore attackman Tanner Barbieri (Wayne, N.J./St. Peter's Prep) scored three goals and had two assists in the win.
Washington College 9, Berry 4
How It Happened
- After a slow start for both teams offensively, the Shoremen scored three times in a 47-second span. Tyler Powers scored off a Barbieri assist with 7:45 to go in the opening quarter, Austin Hepburn III then scored 12 seconds after the ensuing face-off, and Barbieri scored an extra-man goal off a Powers assist 35 seconds after that as Washington quickly grabbed a 3-0 lead.
- Neither team scored again until Jake Emche scored for Berry off a Hudson Harris assist with 3:32 remaining in the second quarter, cutting the lead to 3-1. The Shoremen got that goal back 42.5 seconds before halftime as Powers again scored off a Barbieri assist to make it 4-1, but the Vikings answered off the face-off, scoring 12.6 seconds later when Emche found the back of the net off a Thomas Brennan feed to pull Berry back within two at 4-2.
- Brendon Hurley scored the first goal of the third quarter for the Shoremen, firing one in from just in front of the goal with 7:12 on the clock after a quick pass from behind the goal by Brady O'Neill. Hepburn scored his second goal off a face-off of the afternoon, getting an unassisted tally just 14 seconds later as the lead grew to 6-2. Berry got back to within three with 6:15 remaining in the third as Paolo Falzi scored off a Quentin Johnson feed. Zachary Gorrasi scored his first career goal for the Shoremen off an assist from Matty Allen with 43.3 seconds to play in the third to give Washington a 7-3 cushion.
- The Shoremen grabbed their first five-goal lead of the game when Barbieri cut to the net and scored after a well-placed screen by Nick Boyles sprung him free for the goal with 13:01 left in the fourth. Barbieri tacked on his third goal of the day with 4:11 remaining. Falzi scored off another Johnson assist with 51.3 seconds to go to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (3-1)
- Scorers: Barbieri (3 goals, 2 assists), Powers (2 goals, 1 assists), Hepburn (2 goals), Hurley (1 goal), Gorrasi (1 goal), Allen (1 assist), O'Neill (1 assist)
- Goalie: Ben Flood (8 saves, 4 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Stephen Burke had four caused turnovers for the Shoremen, who finished with 15 as a team..
- The Shoremen held a 38-27 advantage in shots in the game.
For Berry (4-5)
- Scorers: Emche (2 goals), Falzi (2 goals), Johnson (2 assists), Harris (1 assist), Brennan (1 assist).
- Goalie: Nick Voso (11 saves, 9 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Berry head coach Curtis Gilbert is a 2001 graduate of Washington College, where he was an All-Centennial Conference player and won an NCAA Division III National Championship. He also later served as an assistant coach for the Shoremen.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/19 v. #18 Frostburg State - 1:00 p.m.