Powers Scores Three Goals, Assists on Three More in Win
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The host Washington College men's lacrosse team scored the first eight goals of the game en route to a 10-4 non-conference win over visiting St. Mary's College of Maryland this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. Sophomore attackman Tyler Powers (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) scored three goals and assisted on three others for the Shoremen, who improved to 1-1 with the win.
Washington College 10 St. Mary's (Md.) 4
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored two goals before the Seahawks had an offensive possession on the other end. Tyler Powers scored off an assist from Tanner Barbieri with 12:36 remaining in the first quarter and then assisted on a goal by Brady O'Neill with 11:14 on the clock.
- Powers scored again off a Barbieri assist with 8:55 to go in the period. Nick Boyles made it 4-0 with a goal off an assist from Kevin Trapp with 3:57 remaining and Powers scored his third goal of the quarter, this time off an Andrew Docktor assist, with 12.9 seconds left to complete a 5-0 first quarter for the Shoremen. Washington had a commanding 22-3 edge in shots in the first quarter.
- Powers assisted on the first goal of the second quarter, finding Charles Walker with 12:32 left. Sid Looney made it 7-0 off an assist from Boyles with 11:39 to go in the second quarter. Austin Hepburn III tacked on the Shoremen's eighth goal on the run with 9:39 to go before the intermission.
- Matt Carney finally got the Seahawks on the board with 7:16 left in the second quarter. Barbieri got that goal back for the Shoremen off assist from Powers with 1:41 left before halftime, but Luke Eshleman countered for St. Mary's with 48.6 seconds on the clock to make the score 9-2 before halftime.
- Looney fired in the Shoremen's 10th goal with 10:04 to play in the third, while Cooney scored the Seahawks' third with 7:49 left. Mike Becraft scored a goal in transition off an assist from Brendan Steele with 8:22 in the fourth to cut the lead to 10-4. Those were the only three goals of the second half.
For the Shoremen (1-1)
- Scorers: Powers (3 goals, 3 assists), Looney (2 goals), Barbieri (1 goals, 2 assists), Boyles (1 goal, 1 assist), Hepburn (1 goal), Walker (1 goal), O'Neill (1 goal), Docktor (1 assist), Trapp (1 assist)
- Goalie: Ben Flood (11 saves, 4 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Kyle Gangemi went 11-for-16 on face-offs with seven ground balls for the Shoremen. Kevin Wilson added three caused turnovers.
- The Shoremen had sizable advantages in shots (55-25), ground balls (39-23), and face-off wins (12-5) in the victory.
For St. Mary's (1-2)
- Scorers: Carney (2 goals), Eshleman (1 goal), Becraft (1 goal), Steele (1 assist)
- Goalie: Max Alderman (15 saves, 10 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Colin Tiffey had three caused turnovers in the loss.
- The Shoremen improved to 23-0 all-time against the Seahawks with the victory.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/7 v. Oneonta State - 7:00 p.m.