#2 Red Devils Run Past #10 Shoremen, 15-10

#2 Red Devils Run Past #10 Shoremen, 15-10

Campbell Records Career-Best Four Goals; Cord Nets Five Points

CHESTERTOWN, MD – Visiting #2 Dickinson took over the game with a 5-0 second quarter to turn a 3-2 deficit into a 7-3 halftime lead en route to a 15-10 win over #10 Washington College on Saturday afternoon in Centennial Conference men's lacrosse action at Kibler Field at Roy Kirby Jr. Stadium.  The Red Devils improve to 12-0 overall and 5-0 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen fall to 10-2 and 4-2 respectively.

Washington jumped onto the scoreboard first just 2:18 into the first quarter when sophomore midfielder Grant Hughes (Alexandria, VA/St. Stephen's & St. Agnes) scored on an unassisted goal and 44 seconds later the Shoremen made it 2-0 when senior attackman Bennett Cord (Gaithersburg, MD/Gaithersburg) finished off a transition situation on a feed from senior midfielder Patrick Coyle (Reisterstown, MD/Calvert Hall).  The Red Devils cut the lead to 2-1 with 4:27 left in the first on a Tyler White goal.  Brian Gleason evened the game with 2:43 left in the quarter when he finished off a pass from Brett Parker.  The Shoremen retook the lead at 3-2 with 2:01 to go in the first quarter when junior attackman JD Campbell (Baltimore, MD/Mount St. Joseph) scored on the doorstep with Cord notching the assist.

The Red Devils scored all five goals in the second quarter to grab a 7-3 lead into halftime.  Dickinson tied the game at 3-3 with 11:50 to go in the second quarter when Christian Beitel scored with White recording the assist.  The Red Devils took their first lead of the game with 7:42 remaining in the first half when Nick Leon scored on a man-up tally with Matt Cherry getting the assist.  Cherry found Chris Menard and he gave Dickinson a 5-3 lead with 5:33 left in the second.  Just seven seconds later Carter Moore made it 6-3 when he won the faceoff and went straight to goal and scored.  Dickinson made it 7-3 when Brian Cannon scored from Brian Gleason in transition with 4:16 left in the opening half. 

Washington scored the first goal of the third quarter 3:33 into the second half when Campbell put in his second goal of the game unassisted to trim the Dickinson lead to 7-4.  Just 75 seconds later White made it 8-4 on an unassisted score, but Washington cut it to 8-5 only 31 ticks later on a Campbell man-up goal with an assist from sophomore attackman Stephen Luck (Catonsville, MD/Boys' Latin) to trim it to 8-5.  The Shoremen scored again 22 seconds later to reduce Dickinson's lead to 8-6 on a tally from sophomore midfielder/face-off specialist Michael Trapp (White Plains, NY/White Plains) as he finished off a pass from Cord.  The Red Devils would respond though with four goals in a 1:46 span to take control of the contest.  Beitel gave the Red Devils a three-goal lead with 5:38 left as he scored off of a rebound and Cannon restored the lead to four goals at 10-6 with 4:48 to go in the third.  Gleason scored a man-up goal with 4:25 left to put the Red Devils ahead 11-6.  Cannon scored his second goal during the four-goal run with 3:52 remaining in the third with Cherry notching the helper.  Washington ended the run with 18.5 seconds left in third when Campbell scored his fourth of the game and it was 12-7 Dickinson entering the fourth quarter.

The Shoremen got a man-up score from junior attackman Jim Cusick (Fallston, MD/Calvert Hall) with 9:57 left in the fourth quarter on a Cord helper.  The Shoremen scored just 61 seconds later to reduce the Dickinson lead to 12-9 when Hughes finished off a pass from freshman midfielder Sid Looney (Westhampton, NY/Westhampton).  However, Dickinson would make it 13-9 with 7:46 to go in the contest as White scored on a man-up goal with Cherry netting the assist.  Only 90 seconds later the Red Devils made it 14-9 when Will Scott finished off of a transition opportunity with Gleason recording the assist.  The Red Devils pushed the lead to 15-9 with 5:43 left in the contest when Cherry scored unassisted.  The Shoremen got into double figures with 3:12 left on a Cusick goal with an assist by Cord to trim the Dickinson lead to 15-10 and that provided the final margin.

Dickinson's Cherry tied for game-high with four assists and five points, which both led the squad.  Cannon and White each had three goals to lead the Red Devils, while White added an assist for four points.  Gleason had four points on a pair of goals and assists each.  Beitel netted two goals for Dickinson.  In goal, Greg Hanley made 14 saves for the Red Devils.

For Washington, Cord had four assists and five points to match Cherry for contest-best. The four helpers matches his personal best in assists.  Campbell had a career-high four goals for the Shoremen to lead all players in the game, three of which came on man-up tallies, which is also a career-best for the junior.  Cusick and Hughes both had two goals for the hosts.  Trapp scooped up a game-best eight groundballs.  In goal, junior goalkeeper Ted DiSalvo (Boca Raton, FL/Spanish River) had 14 saves. 

The Shoremen held a 44-40 edge in shots, had a 40-34 advantage in ground balls and won 15 of the game's 29 face-offs.  The hosts were 23-for-27 in clears, while the guests were 25-for-28 in clears.  In extra-man situations, Dickinson was 4-for-9, while Washington was 4-for-8.  Dickinson turned it over 23 times, while Washington coughed it up 18 times.

The Shoremen are back in action on Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. against visiting #6 Salisbury in the annual War on The Shore for the Charles B. Clark Cup.