Shoremen Upend Fifth-Ranked Red Devils, 10-9, in OT

Shoremen Upend Fifth-Ranked Red Devils, 10-9, in OT

Cord Nets Game-Winner in Shoremen's First Win Over Top-Five Team Since 2008

CARLISLE, PA -- Junior attackman Bennett Cord (Gaithersburg, MD/Gaithersburg) scored the game-winning goal with 30 seconds left in overtime as visiting Washington College upended fifth-ranked host Dickinson, 10-9, in overtime in a Centennial Conference men's lacrosse game this afternoon in Carlisle, PA.  The Shoremen improved to 8-2 overall with their eighth consecutive victory and, more importantly, remained unbeaten in conference play, improving to 5-0 in the league. Dickinson had its own eight-game win streak snapped with the loss and fell to 9-2 and 3-1. 

Washington remained in sole possession of first place in the Centennial Conference with the win, one-half game in front of Gettysburg's 4-0 mark. The victory was the Shoremen's first over a top-five opponent since a 12-9 win over then fourth-ranked Lynchburg in the NCAA Division III Tournament on May 11, 2008. It was also Washington's first win over Dickinson since a 12-8 triumph on April 12, 2008.  

Dickinson got on the board first when Nick Leon found WIll Scott for a goal with 10:18 to go in the first quarter. The Shoremen evened things up when senior midfielder Dave Lundquist (West Chester, PA/Henderson) caused a turnover, scooped up a ground ball, and raced down the field for a goal with 8:33 left. The Red Devils regained the lead on a goal by Sam Abramson off an assist from Ward Gruppo with 5:40 remaining in the first. Washington evened the score again at 2-2 when Cord scooped up a ground ball off a rebounded shot and fired it home with 1:40 remaining in the first quarter. 

The Red Devils opened the second-quarter scoring when Gruppo found Matt Cherry for a goal 34 seconds into the period. The Shoremen again answered as sophomore midfielder Hunter Nowicki (Baltimore, MD/Franklin) scored with 10:28 left in the second quarter to even the score at 3-3, but the Red Devils went back in front on a goal by Abramson off an assist by Brian Cannon with 7:53 left. Dickinson took the first two-goal lead of the game on a goal by Parker Waldron with 6:35 remaining in the second quarter, increasing the margin to 5-3. The Red Devils lead grew to 6-3 on a goal by Sam Greenberg off a Cherry assist with 4:01 to go before halftime. Cord cut the lead to 6-4 with a goal with 2:33 left and Dickinson took the two-goal advantage into the intermission. 

Washington junior midfielder Patrick Coyle (Reisterstown, MD/Calvert Hall) got the Shoremen back to within a goal with the first score of the third quarter at 11:27. The Shoremen tied the score at 6-6 on a goal by sophomore attackman JD Campbell (Baltimore, MD/Mount St. Joseph) with 6:02 remaining in the third. Cherry countered with a goal off an assist by Scott with 3:49 remaining and a goal by Abramson off a Cherry assist with 3:01 to play in the period to give the Red Devils an 8-6 lead. 

Coyle scored off a feed from Nowicki to open the fourth-quarter scoring with 12:32 remaining, to cut the lead to 8-7. Senior midfielder Tom Rixey (Virginia Beach, VA/Norfolk Academy) then evened the score at 8-8 with a goal with 7:44 left. The Shoremen then took their first lead of the game on a goal by Campbell off an assist by Coyle with 6:16 remaining in the fourth quarter. Dickinson found the equalizer with just 1:12 remaining in regulation as Gruppo scored off an assist from Abramson. Washington won the ensuing face-off and called timeout with 52 seconds left. Waldron caused a Washington turnover with 34 seconds remaining, Cherry fired a shot wide with eight seconds to go, and the fourth quarter ended with the game tied 9-9. 

In overtime, Washington senior goalie Peter Stewart (Annapolis, MD/St. Mary's) saved a shot by Christian Beitel with 2:09 on the clock, leading to a successful Shoremen clear and timeout with 1:57 left.  Freshman attackman Grant Hughes (Alexandria, VA/St. Stephen's & St. Agnes) found Cord for the game-winner with 30 seconds left after firing a shot of his own wide with 45 seconds to go.  

Coyle led the Shoremen with three goals and an assist in the win, while Cord added two goals and one assist and Nowicki added a goal and an assist. Stewart had another outstanding game between the pipes, piling up 17 saves. 

Abramson led the Red Devils with three goals and one assist, Cherry finished with two goals and two assists, Gruppo scored one goal and had two assists, and Scott added a goal and an assist.

Dickinson held a 47-31 advantage in shots in the game.

The Shoremen return to action one week from today with a 1:00 p.m. Centennial Conference home game against Gettysburg.