Garnet Turn Away Shoremen, 8-6

Garnet Turn Away Shoremen, 8-6

Campbell, Cusick Score Two Goals Each

SWARTHMORE, PA -- A three-goal run to end the first half proved to be the difference as host Swarthmore College defeated visiting Washington College, 8-6, in a Centennial Conference men's lacrosse game tonight on Clothier Field. The Garnet, who won despite being out-shot by 22, improved to 4-10 overall and 2-5 in conference play. The Shoremen, who were playing their final conference game of the season, fell to 4-8 and 2-6.

Swarthmore struck first in game as Wes Marcik fired in a goal with 12:22 remaining in the first quarter. The Shoremen evened the score when freshman attackman Jim Cusick (Fallston, MD/Calvert Hall) netted a goal off an assist from sophomore midfielder Patrick Coyle (Reisterstown, MD/Calvert Hall) with 9:56 to go in the quarter. The Garnet pulled back in front on a Jonathan Molloy goal with 4:48 on the clock, but the Shoremen quickly responded as freshman attackman JD Campbell (Baltimore, MD/Mount St. Joseph) capitalized on a turnover deep on the Swarthmore defensive end to tie the score at 2-2 17 seconds later. The goal was the first of Campbell's collegiate career. Washington took its first lead on a goal by Cusick off an assist from sophomore attackman Glen Tompkins (Manhasset, NY/Manhasset) with four seconds to play in the quarter. 

The Garnet evened the score at 3-3 on a goal by Max Hubbard with 12:42 remaining in the second quarter. Swarthmore moved back in front on a Molloy goal 46 seconds later. WC sophomore attackman Bennett Cord (Gaithersburg, MD/Gaithersburg) deadlocked the score again, this time at 4-4, with an extra-man goal off Campbell's first collegiate assist with 6:02 to go in the half. Molloy gave the Garnet a 5-4 lead with a goal off an assist from Steve Selverian with 3:47 left. Swarthmore opened up a three-goal lead with two goals late in the second quarter as Molloy scored off a Marcik assist on an extra-man opportunity with 1:42 left and Mark Czernyk scored off the ensuing face-off seven seconds later.

Washington junior midfielder Billy Stafford (White Hall, MD/Hereford) opened the third-quarter scoring with 10:56 on the clock to cut the lead to 7-5, but Hubbard scored off an assist from John Bukawyn with 9:04 left to give the Garnet another three-goal lead. Campbell trimmed the lead back to two goals with a goal with 2:48 remaining in the third. 

Neither team scored in the fourth quarter as Swarthmore survived being out-shot, 14-3, in the period, 33-11 in the second half, and 53-31 for the game.

Molloy led all scorers with four goals in the win for the Garnet, while Hubbard added two goals and Marcik had a goal and an assist. Jonathan Cohen played an impressive game between the pipes for Swarthmore, making 17 saves.

Campbell led Washington with two goals and one assist, while Cusick also scored two goals and Tompkins had a pair of assists. Senior goalie Peter Stewart (Annapolis, MD/St. Mary's) made 13 saves for the Shoremen.

The Shoremen return to action Saturday with a 1:00 p.m. non-conference game at nationally-ranked Cabrini.