Lewis Scores Game High 24; Brown Adds Career High 18
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College got a game best 24 points from Alec Lewis (Jefferson, Md. / Brunswick) and a career high 18 points from Daniel Brown (Silver Spring, Md. / Paint Branch) to defeat visiting Cairn 83-75 in a non-conference men's basketball game played tonight at the Cain Athletic Center in Chestertown, Maryland.
Washington College 83, Cairn 75
How It Happened
- The Shoremen jumped out to a 14-4 lead with 12:29 left in the opening half on a three pointer from Barry McCormick and took their largest lead of the half at 23-12 following a jumper from Lewis with 8:58 to go until the break.
- The Highlanders went on a 27-12 run over the next 7:59 to grab a 39-35 lead with 58 seconds to go in the half on a layup from Julian Collazo.
- A steal from Dallas Marshall with two seconds to go and a layup from Tray Wright with four tenths of a second to go cut the lead to 39-37 at the halftime break.
- Dashaun Cain made a pair of free throws with 17:31 to go to give Cairn a 43-39 lead, but Washington went on an 11-1 run over the next 2:28 to grab the lead for good and take a 50-44 lead following a layup from Lewis with 15:03 to go. A layup from Brown with 16:03 left put the Shoremen ahead to stay.
- Jesse Rivera hit a three with 13:17 to go to cut the lead to 54-49, but three pointers from Cole Storm, McCormick, and Lewis over the next 1:34, sandwiched around a layup from Kameron Clark, gave Washington a 63-51 lead with 11:43 to play.
- The lead for the Shoremen stayed in double digits until Collazo and Jeremiah Harris each hit a three pointer on back-to-back possessions to cut the lead to 73-65 with 4:17 to go.
- Washington responded with six straight points to push the lead back up to 14 at 79-65 with 2:22 to go on a pair of free throws from Marshall.
- The lead once again remained in double digits until Tyler Carrier made a three pointer with 16 seconds to go to cut the lead to 83-75 and provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (2-2)
- Lewis (game high 24 points), Brown (career high 18 points, nine rebounds), Wright (14 points, game high five assists), McCormick (10 points).
- The Shoremen shot 46.9% (30-for-64) from the floor in the win, 29.6% (8-for-27) from three point range, and 51.7% (15-for-29) at the free throw line.
- Washington turned the ball over 13 times, while forcing 14 Cairn turnovers.
- The Shoremen were called for 14 fouls in the first half, compared to eight in the second.
For Cairn (1-3)
- Brennan Addley (16 points), Malachi Hall (13 points), Justin Dean (game bests of 11 rebounds and four steals).
- The Highlanders shot 38.8% (26-for-67) from the floor in the loss, 31.3% (5-for-16) from three point range, and 62.1% (18-for-29) at the free throw line.
- Cairn held a slim 44-40 advantage in rebounding.
- Brown was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The game for the first time in his career.
- The Shoremen are now 6-0 in the series against Cairn.
Up Next for the Shoremen
11/23 v. Penn State-Harrisburg - 2:00 p.m.