Shoremen Solve Fords, 59-54

Win is Shoremen's First in Conference Play this Season

CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College picked up its first Centennial Conference victory of the season with a 59-54 defeat of visiting Haverford in men's basketball action this afternoon inside Cain Athletic Center.

Washington College 59, Haverford 54

How It Happened
- The Shoremen opened the game by scoring 12 of the game's first 16 points for an early eight-point lead. Haverford answered with a 9-0 run to take a 13-12 lead on a fastbreak lay-up by Kyle Goldfarb with 13:11 on the clock. After the teams exchanged points during the middle of the half, the Fords opened up a 22-17 lead thanks to a Joe Scibelli jumper with 9:20 remaining.
- Haverford maintained a lead of between one and five points until Alec Lewis evened the game at 30-30 with a pair of free throws with 1:50 to go in the first half. The Shoremen regained the lead with 1:23 remaining when Benjamin Young sank the front end of a one-and-one for a 31-30 advantage. After a pair of Jack Cork free throws with 51 seconds left put the Fords back in front, Barry McCormick scored a lay-up for the Shoremen for a 33-32 advantage with 36 seconds left to provide Washington with a one-point halftime advantage.
- The Fords evened the score when Cork made the second of two free throws with 15:47 left in the second half for a 37-37 score. Neither team would score again until Dallas Marshall put the Shoremen in front with a put-back lay-up with 12:01 to go. Jesse Turkson answered on the next possession for the Fords as the two teams began to exchange baskets.
- A three-pointer by Rob Goyena III gave the Shoremen a three-point lead at 44-41 with 9:51 to play. A long step-back jumper by Josh Porteous upped the lead to 46-41 47 seconds later. A Tray Wright jumper in the paint with 5:41 on the clock gave Washington its first three-possession lead since their 12-4 advantage at 52-45. Two free throws by Scibelli with 1:56 left pulled Haverford back to within three at 54-51.
- Marshall went to the line for the Shoremen with 47.7 seconds left and knocked down the front end of a one-and-one to extend the lead to 55-51. Logan Bunch rebounded Marshall's miss on the second attempt and Wright was fouled. He sank the first of two free throws with 40.9 seconds left for a 56-51 advantage. A three-pointer by Joe Hartman came up short for the Fords and Young grabbed the rebound. Wright went to the line again with 27.8 seconds to go and made the second of two free throws for a 57-51 lead.
- Hartman made a three-pointer for the Fords with 14.2 seconds to go to cut the deficit back down to a single possession. Lewis was fouled on the ensuing inbounds pass and made the second of two free throws with 12.4 seconds left for a 58-54 lead. Hartman missed a three on the next possession and Marshall grabbed the rebound and was fouled. He made the second of two free throws with three seconds remaining to provide the final margin.

For the Shoremen (5-6, 1-4 Centennial Conference)
- Marshall (12 points, 3 blocks); Lewis (10 points, 3 assists); Daniel Brown (8 points, 5 rebounds); Wright (6 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists)
- The Shoremen shot 36.2% from the field, 5-of-16 from three-point range, and 12-of-24 at the free-throw line. They turned the ball over 13 times compared to 18 for Haverford.

For Haverford (3-6, 1-4 Centennial Conference)
- Turkson (14 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 blocks, 2 steals); Cork (13 points); Scibelli (11 points, 6 rebounds); Kahlil Garnes (8 points)
- The Fords shot 38.5% from the field, 3-for-17 from three-point range, and 11-of-13 at the foul line. They held a slim 39-37 rebounding advantage. 

- Scibelli scored his 1,000th and 1,001st career points on a turnaround jumper with 1,334 remaining in the first half.
- Marshall was named the Chestertown McDonald's Shoremen Player of the Game. 

Up Next
1/2 @ High Point - 6 p.m.