Porteous Scores 15 to Tie for Game-High and Allen Pulls Down Career-Best 12 Rebounds
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Host Case Western Reserve jumped out to a 43-26 halftime lead and held off a second half rally by visiting Washington College to post a 70-66 win on Saturday afternoon in a non-conference men's basketball game at Horsburgh Gymnasium in the championship game of the Bill Sudeck Tournament hosted by Case Western Reserve University. The Spartans improve to 3-0 on the year, while the Shoremen fall to 3-1. Junior forward Alec Lewis (Jefferson, Md./Brunswick) was named to the all-tournament team.
Case Western Reserve 70 Washington College 66
How It Happened
- The Shoremen jumped out to a 12-5 lead 4:07 into the first half on three-pointer by Tray Wright.
- Case Western Reserve turned a 17-13 deficit into a 39-19 lead with a 26-2 run, capping it on a Sam Hansen layup with 2:54 left in the first half. Antonio Ionadi gave the Spartans the lead for good during the run on a jumper with 11:21 to go in the first.
- The hosts took a 43-26 lead into halftime as they canned nine triples in the first 20 minutes.
- Trailing 52-35 with 15:24 left in the second half, Washington scored eight straight points to cut the hosts' lead to 52-43 on a Josh Porteous jumper.
- Down 65-57 with 43 ticks left following two free throws by the Spartans' Ryan Newton, the Shoremen scored nine of the next 12 points to trim the lead to 68-66 with 10 seconds left on a triple by Kevin McCormick.
- Michael Hollis was fouled with five seconds left and he drained both free throws to ice the game for Case Western and provided the final two points of the game.
For The Shoremen (3-1)
- Porteous (15 points to tie for game-best), Dallas Marshall (12 points and two steals), Wright (10 points), Austin Allen (career-best and squad-high 12 rebounds)
- The Shoremen shot 40% (23-for-57) from the floor, 31% (4-for-13) from three-point range and 67% (16-for-24) from the foul line.
- WC had just nine turnovers in the game and outscored Case Western Reserve in points in the paint, 30-18.
For Case Western Reserve (3-0)
- Ignas Masiulionis (15 points to tie for contest-high and game-best three steals), Michael Volkening (13 points), Ionadi (10 points and four assists), Newton (10 points and two blocks), Hollis (contest-high 13 boards)
- The Spartans shot 42% (22-for-53) from the floor, 33% (10-for-30) from three-point range and 59% (16-for-27) from the free throw stripe.
- Case Western Reserve outscored Washington in bench points (38-26), points off of turnovers (5-4) and second chance points (11-9).
- The Spartans held a 40-39 edge on the boards and had only 10 turnovers.
- It was the second all-time meeting between Washington and Case Western Reserve. The only other meeting a 76-69 Shoremen victory in the 2001-02 season.
- Allen's previous high in rebounds was 10, which he did on three occasions.
11/20 @ #13 Swarthmore – 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- Centennial Conference opener.