Wright Scores 20 Points in Collegiate Debut; Lewis and Marshall Net 11 Points Each
LANGHORNE, Pa. – Visiting Washington College won its season opener for the first time since 2007 in an 86-76 win over host Cairn on Friday night in a non-conference men's basketball game at the Mason Activity Center. It was the first game of the 2018-19 for both squads.
Washington College 86 Cairn 76
How It Happened
- Washington would take the lead for good on a three-point play by Dallas Marshall with 16:27 left in the first half at 7-4.
- The Shoremen took their biggest lead in the first half at six points, 25-19, when Logan Bunch canned a jumper with 7:06 to go as the guests took a 41-38 lead into halftime.
- Cairn cut the Washington lead to 54-52 with 13:45 left in the second half on a Kameron Clark layup, but that's as close as they would get as nine seconds later Kevin McCormick answered with a three-pointer to give WC a 57-52 lead.
- Leading 61-56 with 10:42 to go, the Shoremen went on a 9-0 run to take a 70-56 lead on a layup by Alec Lewis with 7:22 to go.
- Washington's lead the rest of the game fluctuated between nine and 16 points with the 16-point lead coming with 5:37 left on a Marshall basket to make it 75-59.
For The Shoremen (1-0)
- Tray Wright (team-high 20 points), Marshall (11 points and game-best five assists), Lewis (11 points and three steals to lead team), Bunch (squad-best eight rebounds), Benjamin Young (two blocks to lead all players)
- The Shoremen outscored the Highlanders in bench points, 30-21, and second chance points, 18-15.
- The Shoremen shot 46% (30-for-65) from the floor, 41% (7-for-17) from three-point range and 76% (19-for-25) from the foul line.
- Washington had 18 turnovers while forcing 21 Cairn turnovers.
- WC held a 42-37 advantage on the boards.
For Cairn (0-1)
- Malachi Hall (game-highs of 24 points and six steals while tying for contest-best with nine boards), Jordan Koczman (16 points and nine boards to tie for game-best), Julian Collazo (three steals and team-best three assists).
- The Highlanders shot 49% (30-for-61) from the floor, 18% (2-for-11) from three-point range and 52% (14-for-27) from the free throw stripe.
- Cairn outscored Washington in points off turnovers, 29-23, points in the paint, 54-40, and transition points, 12-4.
- The Shoremen's last season opening win was on November 17, 2007, when Washington topped Polytechnic, 94-72, at home.
- Marshall tied his career-best in assists with five tonight. He had five against Cairn on November 28, 2017 and versus Muhlenberg on January 27, 2018.
- Washington now leads the all-time series versus Cairn, 5-0.
11/13 v. Elizabethtown – 6:00 p.m. (Non-Conference game)
- Home opener for the Shoremen.