Goyena III and Wright Each Score 12 Points
LEXINGTON, Va. – Host Division I VMI used a 22-0 run in the first half take control of the game on its way to a 89-56 win against visiting Washington College on Tuesday night men's basketball action at Cameron Arena. The game did not count in the standings for the Shoremen as it was an exhibition for the guests, while the game did count for the Division I Keydets as they win their season opener.
VMI 89 Washington College 56
How It Happened
- VMI scored the game's first 11 points to lead 11-0 with 12:27 left in the first half on a Myles Lewis layup.
- The Shoremen would score the next four points to trim the lead to 11-4 on a free throw by Tray Wright with 11:45 left in the half. Derrick Carter got the Shoremen on the board on a three-pointer with 12:03 to go.
- The Keydets would go on a 24-0 run following the Wright free throw to lead 35-4 on a Tyler Creammer layup with 5:21 left in the opening half.
- Washington would end the run on a lay-in by Austin Allen with 4:44 left in the half after he stole the ball to lead the basket.
- VMI took a 45-16 lead into halftime, but Allen capped the first half scoring on a jumper to beat the buzzer.
- In the second half, the Keydets only outscored the Shoremen by four, 44-40.
For The Shoremen (Game Does Not Count In Standings)
- Wright (12 points, four assists and four rebounds), Rob Goyena III (12 points), Allen and Logan Bunch (five rebounds)
- The Shoremen, who held a 33-26 edge in bench points, shot 28% from the floor.
For VMI (1-0)
- Bubba Parham (23 points), Lewis (13 points), Greg Parham (11 points and 10 assists), Creammer (13 rebounds and three blocks)
- The Keydets shot 47% from the floor and had a 55-41 advantage of the glass.
- Washington and VMI have played twice when the game counted for the Shoremen. WC won 26-15 in the 1922-23 season, while VMI won 128-54 in 2013-14.
- Before arriving at Washington College, Shoremen Lacrosse head coach Jeff Shirk spent four years as the lacrosse head coach at VMI from 2007-10.
11/9 @ Cairn – 7:00 p.m. (Non-Conference Game)
- Season opener for the Shoremen.
- Washington won 78-75 in overtime last season at home and won in 2016-17 at Cairn, 72-68.