Allen And Porteous Each Post 11 Points In The Loss
WESTMINSTER, Md. — Host McDaniel took control of the game with a 7-0 run to end the first half and closed the game strong to post a 72-53 win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference men's basketball game played tonight at the Gill Center in Westminster, Maryland.
McDaniel 72, Washington College 53
How It Happened
- The Shoremen got off to a quick start in the contest, jumping out to a 7-0 lead on an Austin Allen jump shot and later a 10-2 lead courtesy of a Josh Porteous three pointer with 17:15 to play in the opening half. Porteous supplied eight of the points during the opening run.
- McDaniel later responded with an 11-2 run to take their first lead at 17-14 with 12:06 to play in the opening half following a three pointer from Josh McWilliams.
- A layup from Daniel Brown cut the lead to 28-26 with 2:23 to go in the half, but McDaniel would go on a 7-0 run to end the half and open up the largest lead of the half for either team, a nine point lead at 35-26 following a layup from Jared Houck with six seconds remaining.
- A layup from Austin Cannon capped the run at 9-0 and gave McDaniel their first double digit lead of the night at 37-26 with 19:06 to play.
- Dallas Marshall completed a traditional three point play to pull the Shoremen back within six at 40-34 with 15:33 to go.
- McDaniel led 42-34 before the Shoremen went on a 6-0 run to cut the lead down to 42-40 with 11:31 to go following an Allen layup.
- Barry McCormick would later pull the Shoremen back to within five at 55-50 with 6:10 to go, but McDaniel would finish the game strong on an 18-3 run to pull away for the win.
For the Shoremen (6-16, 3-12 Centennial Conference)
- Allen (11 points to tie for team high, five rebounds, three assists, game high four steals), Porteous (11 points), Marshall (eight points), McCormick (eight points, five rebounds).
- The Shoremen shot 40% from the floor in the loss, 16.7% from three point range, and 52.4% at the free throw line.
- Washington held a 32-26 advantage on the glass, but turned the ball over 16 times.
For McDaniel (5-17, 2-13 Centennial Conference)
- McWilliams (game high 21 points), Isaac Ray (14 points, six rebounds), Cannon (11 points, game high seven rebounds).
- The Green Terror shot 55.3% from the floor in the win, 44.4% from three point range, and 80% at the free throw line.
- McDaniel turned the ball over 11 times and scored 25 points off of Washington's 16 turnovers.
- The game was supposed to be played last night, but was postponed to today due to a winter weather closure of McDaniel's campus.
Up Next for the Shoremen
2/10 @ #20 Franklin & Marshall - 3:00 p.m.