Allen Matches Career-High with 15 Points
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. — Host Ursinus College held a double-digit halftime lead and withstood an 18-3 run by visiting Washington College during the second half en route to an 86-74 Centennial Conference men's basketball victory tonight in Collegeville, Pa.
Ursinus 86, Washington College 74
How It Happened
- The Bears scored 10 of the game's first 11 points to build a 10-1 lead on a Zach Quattro three-pointer 2:53 into the game. Ursinus led by at least four points throughout the first half and brought a 51-38 lead into the intermission thanks to a three-pointer by Bruce Edwards with four seconds left.
- The Ursinus lead ballooned to as many as 22 points in the second half as a George Gordon jumper with 11:27 on the clock gave the bears a 70-48 cushion.
- The Shoremen then went on an 18-3 run to whittle the lead all the way down to seven as a Tas Dixon lay-up and free throw trimmed the margin to 73-66 with 5:13 to go.
- That was as close as the Shoremen would come, however, as the Bears scored the next eight points to go up, 81-66, on two Brian Rafferty free throws with 1:05 remaining.
For the Shoremen (4-9, 1-5 Centennial Conference)
- Austin Allen (career high-tying 15 points), Mike Winterburn (12 points), Dixon (12 points)
- The Shoremen shot 41% from the field and 76% from the free-throw line.
For Ursinus (8-5, 4-2 Centennial Conference)
- Quattro (19 points), Ryan McTamney (15 points, 9 rebounds); Rafferty (12 points, 6 assists); Shane Stark (11 points, 8 rebounds)
- The Bears shot 47% from the field and 69% from the foul line.
- Ursinus held a commanding 49-28 rebounding advantage.
Up Next for the Shoremen
1/11 v. Franklin & Marshall - 6:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)