Marshall Scores 16 Points and Pulls Down Eight Rebounds
ELIZABETHTOWN, Pa. – Host Elizabethtown outscored visiting Washington College, 48-25, on its way to a 66-54 win on Sunday afternoon in a non-conference men's basketball game at Thompson Gymnasium. The Blue Jays improve to 2-5 on the season, while the Shoremen slip to 4-6.
Elizabethtown 66 Washington College 54
How It Happened
- Elizabethtown jumped out to a 13-7 lead with 10:30 left in the first half on a three-pointer by Josh Christ.
- The Shoremen answered with 12 unanswered points to take a 19-13 lead on a three-pointer by Josh Porteous with 4:56 left. Barry McCormick put Washington ahead 16-13 on a traditional three-point play with 5:13 to go in the first half.
- Leading 22-18, the Shoremen scored the last seven points of the first half to take a 29-18 lead into halftime. Kaiden Williams made a layup with 54 seconds left to end the first half scoring. WC shot 42% from three-point land (5-for-12).
- The Blue Jays opened the second half on a 17-6 run to tie the game at 35-35 on Bryce Greene jumper with 14:47 left.
- Washington would answer by scoring five of the next six points to lead 40-36 on a conventional three point play by Mike Winterburn with 13:43 to go.
- The hosts countered with 11 straight points to lead 47-40 with 10:29 remaining on two Brandon Berry free throws and would extend its lead to as many as 15 at 60-45 on two Michael Pastore free throws with 3:51 left.
- WC would get within eight with 51 ticks left on a Tas Dixon layup at 62-54, but would draw no closer.
For The Shoremen (4-6)
- Dallas Marshall (16 points and eight rebounds to lead team in both categories), Dixon (four assists and two steals), Winterburn (two steals).
- The Shoremen shot 32% (20-for-62) from the floor, 24% (5-for-21) from three-point range and 64% (9-for-14) from the foul line.
- Washington had 15 turnovers in the contest, while outrebounding the Blue Jays by a 40-35 count.
- WC outscored Elizabethtown 12-5 in second-chance points and 16-13 in bench points.
For Elizabethtown (2-5)
- Connor Moffatt (game-highs of 17 points and 12 rebounds), Greene (12 points), Berry (10 points and two steals).
- The Blue Jays shot 47% (23-for-49) from the floor, 29% (6-for-21) from three-point range and 64% (14-for-22) from the free throw stripe.
- The Blue Jays had 15 turnovers in the game.
- Elizabethtown outscored WC in points in the paint (32-22) and points off of turnovers (18-9).
- Today concluded a stretch of seven games in 15 days for the Shoremen dating back to their November 26 game versus Frostburg State.
- Elizabethtown's Berry played two years for the Shoremen from 2015-17.
12/15 @ Mount St. Mary's – 7:00 p.m. (Non-conference and NCAA Interdivisional Game)
- Mount St. Mary's is a Division I program and the reigning Northeast Conference (NEC) Champions.
- Teams are meeting for the 90th time, but for the first time since 1984-85.