Schmelzer Scores 12 Points To Lead WC While Dixon Totals Game-High Four Steals
FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Marshall Shedeck and Nolan Timp each scored a game-high 21 points to help Coe post a 74-64 win over Washington College on Monday night in a non-conference men's basketball game at the Cruzin' Classic at the Greater Ft. Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center.
Coe 74 Washington College 64
How It Happened
- With the scored tied 6-6, the Kohawks went on a 9-0 run to take the lead for good at 15-6 on a Spencer Williams layup with 13:47 left in the first half.
- The Kohawks took their biggest lead of the first half, which was 12 points, on a Matt Mayer layup with 8:54 to go in the opening stanza to give Coe a 24-12 lead.
- Washington would answer with a 16-7 run to cut the Coe lead to 31-28 with 5:07 left in the half on a James Drury layup. Drury scored the final five points of the run.
- Coe finished the half by outscoring the Shoremen, 11-5, to take a 42-33 lead into halftime.
- In the second half, Washington cut the Kohawks lead to five at 51-46 on a Joey Shelton layup with 12:21 left before Coe went on a 17-5 run to take its biggest lead of the game at 68-51 with 5:47 to go on a Timp lay-in.
- The closest Washington would get the rest of the way was nine points when Josh Porteous hit a three-pointer with 38 seconds to go to cut the Coe lead to 73-64.
For The Shoremen (4-5)
- Nick Schmelzer (12 points, 4-for-4 from three-point range), Drury (11 points and team-high six rebounds), Tas Dixon (four steals to lead all players), Porteous (10 points).
- Washington had 12 steals and forced 20 Coe turnovers in the contest. The Shoremen coughed it up 16 times in the loss.
- The Shoremen outscored the Kohawks in points off of turnovers (20-17) and bench points (31-14).
- The Shoremen shot 44% (23-for-52) from the floor, 38% (8-for-21) from three-point range and 46% (10-for-22).
For Coe (5-4)
- Shedeck (game-highs of 21 points and eight rebounds), Timp (21 points to tie for game-high), Trevor Haaland (game-high seven assists), Grayson Roth (11 points, 3-for-3 from three-point range)
- The Kohawks shot 50% (23-for-46) from the floor, 32% (6-for-19) from three-point range and 71% (22-for-31) from the free throw stripe.
- Coe outscored Washington 32-22 in points in the paint and held a 39-26 edge in rebounds.
- It was the first-ever meeting between the Shoremen and the Kohawks.
- Tonight was the Shoremen's first game against a college/university from Iowa as Coe is located in Cedar Rapids.
- Both teams had an exhibition game against a Division I program. The Shoremen played Navy on November 13, while Coe played 2016 NCAA Tournament team Northern Iowa the day prior.
12/20 v. Wheaton (Mass.) – 4:00 p.m. (non-conference game)
- Cruzin' Classic in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- First meeting between the programs.
- Last game for any Washington College team in the 2016 calendar year.