Shorewomen Record Third Straight Shutout for First Time in 15 Years
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College blanked visiting Wilson College, 4-0, in the Shorewomen's final non-conference field hockey game of the season tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The win marked the Shorewomen's third consecutive shutout, a first for the team in 15 years.
Washington College 4, Wilson 0
How It Happened
- With 21:37 remaining in the first half, a penalty stroke by Elizabeth Davis was saved by Wilson goalkeeper Kayla Butts, who dove to her right to make the stop.
- The Shorewomen got on the board with 19:43 to play in the half as Emily Pantazes scored her first collegiate goal off the first collegiate assist from Michaela Conners.
- The Shorewomen had eight shots and eight penalty corners in the first half, keeping the Phoenix off the stat sheet in both of those categories.
- Davis scored her team-best ninth goal of the season with 33:00 to play in the second half, scoring off a pass in front of the goal by Maggie Cancelmo during a penalty corner. The assist was the first of Cancelmo's career.
- Conners made it 3-0 with 28:41 to go when she scored off a ball that was originally sent in by Jordan Mitchell, but was deflected to the front of the cage by Alli Dudley.
- Allison Remenapp tacked on Washington's fourth goal when she sent a ball across the front of the cage that deflected off a Wilson defender and in with 14:55 left.
For the Shorewomen (7-3)
- Scorers: Conners (1 goal, 1 assist), E. Pantazes (1 goal), Davis (1 goal), Remenapp (1 goal), Cancelmo (1 assist), Dudley (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Sadie Robertson (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Washington finished the game with 16 shots and 17 penalty corners.
For Wilson (6-5)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Butts (6 saves, 4 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Wilson had two shots and two penalty corners in the game.
- Tiffany Cobb had a defensive save for the Phoenix in the loss.
- The Shorewomen enjoyed a streak of five consecutive shutout wins during the 2000 season.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/8 v. Swarthmore - 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)