Miller Scores Goal in Loss for Shorewomen
ITHACA, N.Y. — Host Ithaca College scored once in the first half and twice in the second en route to a 3-1 win over visiting Washington College in a non-conference field hockey game this afternoon. Junior attack Jenn Miller (Westminster, Md./North Carroll) scored the Shorewomen's goal in the loss.
Ithaca 3, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Ithaca's Amanda Schell scored the lone goal of the first half, scoring from the center of the arc on a shot that was partially deflected by Washington goalkeeper Sadie Robertson but still found the back of the cage with 25:16 remaining in the period.
- The Bombers put all four of the first-half shots on cage, while the Shorewomen were on target with four of their 10 in the period. Jordan Mitchell got off the final shot of the half for the Shorewomen with 3:13 on the clock, but it was stopped by Ithaca goalkeeper Katie Lass.
- Michaela Donohue scored the Bombers' second goal of the game from two yards out just 1:17 into the second half off an assist from Colleen Keegan-Twombly.
- Miller put the Shorewomen on the board with 22:10 left in the game when she scored off a direct penalty corner. Allison Remenapp inserted the ball off the end line to Elizabeth Davis, acting as the stick-stop. Miller then fired in the goal to slice the lead in half.
- Caitlin O'Brien got the goal back for the Bombers, upping the lead to 3-1 off a penalty corner feed from Lauren Delia with 11:38 remaining.
- The Shorewomen had multiple chances to score in the final 10 minutes. Miller had a shot saved by defender Maddie Keppel with 9:38 left and Lass stopped shots by Davis and Alli Dudley with 8:20 and 7:58 to go, respectively.
- Washington tallied 11 shots in the second half to Ithaca's two, but the Bombers made the most of those chances, scoring on both of them.
For the Shorewomen (1-1)
- Scorers: Miller (1 goal), Davis (1 assist), Remenapp (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Robertson (3 saves, 3 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Shorewomen had 21 shots and 13 penalty corners in the game.
For Ithaca (2-0)
- Scorers: Schell (1 goal), Donohue (1 goal), O'Brien (1 goal), Keegan-Twombly (1 assist), Delia (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Lass (7 saves, 1 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Bombers finished with six shots and three corners.
- Keppel had the game's lone defensive save.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/9 v. Washington and Lee - 4:00 p.m.
- The game against Washington and Lee will be the Shorewomen's home opener and will be the first-ever meeting between the two teams.