Curtin Blasts Grand Slam, Nepert Homers Twice as Shoremen's 25th Win Marks Third-Winningest Season Ever
LANCASTER, Pa. — Visiting Washington College hit four home runs and scored 19 times across the first six innings of a 20-3 non-conference baseball win over host Lancaster Bible this afternoon. The win gave the Shoremen 25 victories this season, the third-highest season total in team history.
Washington College 20, Lancaster Bible 3
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored twice in the first inning on a steal that plated Ben Ruvo and a sacrifice fly by Ryan Zwier. Four more runs came across in the second thanks to a Dylan Nepert homer, a Chris Baker double, and a two-run homer by Aaron Barclay.
- The lead grew to 11-0 in the top of the third as CJ Gillmer drove in two runs with a single, Ben Ruvo drove in a run with an infield single, and Barclay doubled in a pair of runs.
- Washington pushed the advantage to 13-0 via an RBI single by Max Ruvo and a two-run homer by Nepert, his second round-tripper of the game.
- Jaden Pinkey hit a two-run homer for the Chargers in the bottom of the fourth to put Lancaster Bible on the board.
- Zwier scored on a wild pitch for the Shoremen in the fifth and Joe Curtin hit a grand slam in the top of the sixth for a 19-2 lead.
- Jacob Schenck singled in a run for Lancaster Bible in the bottom of the seventh and Jay Felts drove in the Shoremen's 20th run with a sacrifice fly in the top of the eighth to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (25-12)
- Hitting: Ben Ruvo (3-for-3, 3 runs, RBI, triple); Baker (2-for-4, 3 runs, RBI, double, stolen base); Barclay (2-for-4, 4 RBI, run, home run, double); Curtin (grand slam); Nepert (2-for-3, 3 RBI, 2 runs, 2 home runs, walk)
- Pitching: Ryan Mostoller (win, 2 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, walk, 4 strikeouts); Nick Roberti (1 inning, 0 hits, 0 runs, walk); Matt Furlong (2 innings, 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned); Michael Roseman (1 inning, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, strikeout); JD Sparks (1 inning, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts); Colin Brown (1 inning, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout); Trevor Frederick (1 inning, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, strikeout)
For Lancaster Bible (8-17)
- Hitting: Pinkney (home run, 2 RBI, run)
- Pitching: Trevor High (loss, 2 innings, 7 hits, 6 runs, 5 earned, 0 walks, strikeout); Tyler Greenly (1 innings, 4 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, walk, strikeout); Dan Zimmerman (2 innings, 3 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned, walk, 4 strikeouts); Zach Clemens (3 innings, 2 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, 2 walks, strikeout); Alec Gordley (1 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 walks, strikeout)
- The Shoremen's 25 wins this season are one more than their total from last season and now stand alone as the third-most in a season in program history behind 2012 (29) and 26 (2016).
4/26 v. Haverford - 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- Senior Day