Shoremen Bullpen Throws 8.1 Innings Of Scoreless Relief
CHESTERTOWN, MD. — Visiting Cairn got six runs in the top of the first inning and held off a rally from host Washington College to post a 6-3 win in a non-conference baseball game played today at Athey Park in Chestertown, Maryland.
Cairn 6, Washington College 3
How It Happened
- The Highlanders scored all six of their runs, five of which were unearned, in the top of the first inning. Alejandro Fernandez singled up the middle to score Brett Marks and Joshua Melchior to give Cairn a 2-0 lead. Daniel Bierc would then hit a sacrifice fly to left field, bringing home Brian Amantia Jr. to set the score at 3-0. Caleb Edman hit a two out single to right center field, scoring Nathan Wilson and Fernandez to make it a 5-0 game. Edman would then advance to third on a failed pickoff attempt from the catcher and would score on the same play due to a separate throwing error from center field to push the lead for the Highlanders to 6-0.
- The Shoremen got on the board in the bottom of the fourth inning when Dylan Nepert tripled to the gap in right center field, bringing home Joe Otto. Nepert would later score on a single up the middle from Chris Kramedas to make it a 6-2 game.
- Washington loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the fifth inning and picked up a run when Tommy Buckman hit a sacrifice fly to left field, bringing home Luke D'Ostilio to make it a 6-3 game. Nepert then drew a walk to once again load the bases before a ground out ended the inning.
- The Shoremen had runners on first and second with one out in the bottom of the ninth inning and thus had the potential tying run at the plate twice, but a pop up that turned into an infield fly rule and a strikeout ended the threat and the game.
For the Shoremen (16-2)
- Hitting: Nepert (triple, RBI, walk, run), Otto (2-for-4, run), D'Ostilio (2-for-5, run), CJ Gillmer (2-for-5), Kramedas (hit, RBI, stolen base), Buckman (RBI), Ryan Zwier (hit, two walks), Max Hammond (double).
- Pitching: Nick Roberti (loss, 0-1, 2/3 inning, five hits, six runs, one earned, zero walks, one strikeout), Ethan Osgood (6.1 innings, three hits, zero runs, two walks, three strikeouts), JD Sparks (one inning, zero hits, zero runs, zero walks, one strikeout), Ethan Kile (one inning, zero hits, zero runs, zero walks, three strikeouts).
- The Shoremen had 10 hits in the loss, drew three walks, and left 10 runners on base.
- Washington committed three errors, all in the first inning, leading to five unearned runs for the Highlanders.
For Cairn (7-7)
- Hitting: Edman (hit, two RBI's, run, stolen base), Fernandez (hit, two RBI's, run), Wilson (2-for-4, run), Michael Sorowice (2-for-4), Bierc (RBI, walk), Amantia Jr. (hit, run), Melchior (hit, run), Marks (run).
- Pitching: Emilio Alvarez (4.2 innings, eight hits, three runs, three walks, five strikeouts), Sam Dralle (win, 2-1, 4.1 innings, two hits, zero runs, zero walks, three strikeouts).
- The Highlanders picked up eight hits in the win, drew two walks, and left three runners on base.
- Cairn committed one error, a dropped foul ball, but it did not lead to a run for the Shoremen.
- Osgood was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the first time in his career. The 6.1 innings he threw today is the longest outing of his career.
- Otto has now reached base safely in all 16 games he has played in this season.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/27 v. Wesley - 3:30 p.m.
- The Shoremen took a pair of meetings from the Wolverines last year, winning the first matchup in Chestertown 11-3 before following that up with a 10-4 win in Dover.