Barclay Plates Four Including Go Ahead Two-Run Single in the Top of the Ninth
SALISBURY, Md. – Visiting Washington College scored five times in the top of the ninth inning, highlighted by the go ahead two-out, two-run base hit by senior Aaron Barclay (Crofton, Md./Archbishop Spalding) to turn a 7-5 deficit into a 10-7 lead and that would be the final over host #20 Salisbury in a non-conference baseball game on Wednesday afternoon at SU Baseball Field. The Shoremen, who downed the Sea Gulls for the first time in program history improve to 3-0 on the year, while the Sea Gulls drop to 3-2-1.
Washington College 10 #20 Salisbury 7
How It Happened
- Salisbury scored the game's first run in the last of the fourth when with two outs, Scott Cameron singled up the middle to score Brandon Bonesteel.
- Trailing 2-1 in the top of the sixth with two away, Barclay put the Shoremen ahead with a two-run home run to left field to give WC a 3-2 lead. Scoring ahead of Barclay was Ryan Zwier.
- Tied at 3-3 with two outs in the top of the seventh, the Shoremen scored twice to go ahead 5-3. CJ Gillmer singled to right to plate Ryan Colbert to make it 4-3 and he scored when the next hitter, Luke D'Ostilio doubled down the right field line to give the Shoremen a two-run edge.
- In the bottom of the eighth with the score deadlocked at 5-5, Bonesteel singled up the middle with two outs to score both Jason McDonough and Ron Villone to give Salisbury a two-run lead.
- In the top of the ninth, Washington cut the lead to 7-6 one a sacrifice fly by D'Ostilio to plate Ryan Colbert and that was the second out of the frame. After an intentional walk and a walk loaded the bases, Barclay singled up the middle to score both David Hudak and Zwier to make it 8-7. The next hitter, Chris Baker singled to right to plate both Ben Ruvo and Barclay to cap the rally and give the Shoremen a 10-7 lead.
- Ethan Osgood retired the Sea Gulls 1-2-3 in the bottom of the ninth for the win.
For The Shoremen (3-0)
- Hitting: Barclay (2-for-5, two runs, home run, four RBI), Zwier (2-for-3, two runs), Colbert (2-for-3, two runs), Baker and D'Ostilio (two RBI)
- Pitching: Osgood (win 1-0, 1 2/3 innings, one hit, zero runs, zero walks, one strikeout)
- Washington had 10 hits and drew six walks, while leaving six on base.
- The Shoremen had three errors in the game, leading to two unearned runs by the Sea Gulls.
For Salisbury (3-2-1)
- Hitting: Jay Perry (2-for-3), Bonesteel and Villone (two RBI), Cameron (two runs)
- Pitching: Corey Burton (loss 0-1, 2/3 inning, two hits, five runs, five earned, three walks, zero strikeouts)
- The Sea Gulls notched eight hits and drew six walks as they left nine on base.
- The hosts had one error in the game, leading to zero unearned runs for WC.
- This is the first time Washington has won in 32 tries. Salisbury was 29-0-2 entering today's game.
- Washington scored eight of its 10 runs with two outs in the victory.
- Today was the lone meeting this season between the Eastern Shore rivals. The prior three years, Washington and Salisbury played a home-and-home.
3/2 v. Roger Williams – 12:00 p.m. (Non-Conference Game)
- Shoremen downed the Hawks twice in a home doubleheader last March, 3-2 and 6-3.