D'Ostilio Hits Two Run Home Run In The Loss
BALTIMORE, Md. — Host Johns Hopkins scored the first nine runs of the game en route to a 9-3 win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference baseball game played today at Babb Field at Stromberg Stadium in Baltimore, Maryland.
Johns Hopkins 9, Washington College 3
How It Happened
- The Blue Jays got on the board in the bottom of the third inning when Frank Clara hit a two run home run to right field, scoring Mike Smith to give Johns Hopkins a 2-0 lead.
- Alex Darwiche extended the Blue Jays lead to 3-0 in the bottom of the fourth inning by hitting a solo home run to left center field.
- The Blue Jays scored six runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, including a three run home run from Smith and a two run home run from Tim Kutcher, to extend the lead to 9-0.
- Joe Otto broke up the shutout in the top of the ninth inning when he grounded into a double play with the bases loaded and nobody out, chasing home Matt Tancredi. Luke D'Ostilio then hit a two run home run to right field, bringing home Evan Hirschbaum to set the score at 9-3 and provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (23-14 Overall, 7-8 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: D'Ostilio (home run, two RBI's, walk, run), Tancredi (hit, run), Ryan Zwier (hit, walk), Hirschbaum (run).
- Pitching: Brian Kasey (loss, 4-2, five innings, seven hits, six runs, one walk, three strikeouts), Sean Weiss (2/3 inning, two hits, three runs, one earned run, zero walks, one strikeout), Mike Smith (2.1 innings, one hit, zero runs, zero walks, four strikeouts).
- The Shoremen picked up just four hits in the loss, drew five walks, and left five runners on base.
- Washington committed one error, leading to a pair of unearned runs for the Blue Jays.
For Johns Hopkins (24-11 Overall, 12-3 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Smith (3-for-3, home run, three RBI's, two runs), Clara (2-for-4, home run, two RBI's, run), Kutcher (home run, two RBI's, run), Darwiche (home run, RBI, walk, two runs), Austin Sacks (double, RBI, run)
- Pitching: Alex Ross (win, 3-4, seven innings, two hits, zero runs, two walks, nine strikeouts), Brian Linton (one inning, one hit, two runs, one earned run, three walks, two strikeouts), Brent Peterson (one inning, one hit, one unearned run, zero walks, one strikeout).
- The Blue Jays collected 10 hits in the win, drew one walk, and left three runners on base.
- Johns Hopkins committed one error, leading to a pair of unearned Shoremen runs.
- Tancredi extended his hit streak to eight games with a single. He has picked up a hit in 18 of his last 19 games.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/27 v. Johns Hopkins - 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- The game will be the home finale and Senior Day for the Shoremen.