Bendzlowicz Drives In A Pair For Washington
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Salisbury scored the game's first eight runs on its way to a 10-3 win over host Washington College in a non-conference baseball game on Wednesday afternoon at Athey Baseball Park. The Sea Gulls improve to 20-7 on the year, while the Shoremen drop to 19-10.
Salisbury 10 Washington College 3
How It Happened
- Salisbury took the lead for good with a three-run top of the third. With one away, Dillon Waters hit a sacrifice fly to center to score Matt Padeway for the game's first run. The next hitter with two outs, Jack Barry hit a two-run home run to left to also score Justin Meekins to give the Sea Gulls a 3-0 lead.
- In the top of the fifth the Sea Gulls blew open the game with a four-run frame to lead 7-0. Highlighting the inning was a two-run double to right-center by Jack Decker that scored Meekins and Barry with one away to give Salisbury a 6-0 advantage.
- The Sea Gulls scored once in top of the sixth and two in top half of the ninth, while the Shoremen scored twice in the last of the seven and a single run in the bottom of the eighth to provide the final margin. Washington got onto the board in the bottom of the seventh when Alex Bendzlowicz singled to center to score both Joe Otto and Aaron Deutsch with one away.
For The Shoremen (19-10)
- Hitting: Bendzlowicz (two RBI)
- Pitching: Dom Giandonato (loss 2-1, 2/3 inning, three hits, three runs, three earned, zero walks, zero strikeouts), Billy Benson (two innings, one hit, zero runs, zero walks and two strikeouts)
- Washington had seven hits, drew four walks and had reached on a hit by pitch once, while leaving eight on base.
- The Shoremen had two errors in the game, leading to one unearned run by the Sea Gulls.
For Salisbury (20-7)
- Hitting: Barry (3-for-4, three RBI, two runs, home run), Meekins (3-for-4, three runs), Decker (two RBI), Will Gutekunst (2-for-5), Padeway (3-for-4, two runs)
- Pitching: Wes Whitlock (win 2-0, 6 1/3 innings, three hits, two runs, two earned, four walks, six strikeouts)
- The Sea Gulls notched 14 hits, had three players reach via hit by pitch and drew three walks as they left eight on base.
- The visitors had one error in the game, leading to zero unearned runs for WC.
- Bendzlowicz was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the webcast of the contest.
4/13 v. Haverford – 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Shoremen downed the Fords 13-6 on Tuesday at Haverford.