Barclay and Otto Each Tally Two-Run Hits For The Shoremen
ST, DAVIDS, Pa. – Host Eastern scored the game's final six runs to overcome a 4-0 deficit to notch a 6-4 win over visiting Washington College on Wednesday afternoon at The Yard in non-conference baseball action. The Eagles improve to 6-7 with the win, while the Shoremen fall to 16-5.
Eastern 6 Washington College 4
How It Happened
- Washington struck for four runs in the top of the second inning to grab a 4-0 lead. With one out, Aaron Barclay doubled to left-center to score both Joe Lozupone and Gavin O'Donnell for the game's first two runs. Two hitters later with two away, Joe Otto singled to right plate CJ Gillmer and Barclay to cap the four-run frame.
- The Eagles scored got on the board in the bottom of the sixth with a pair of runs to cut the Shoremen's lead in half to 4-2. With one out, Freddy Yahn hit a sacrifice fly to right to score Craig Stanley for Eastern's first run and with two outs, Jake Jones singled to center to plate Timmy Gorton to trim the lead to two.
- Eastern took the lead, 5-4, with a three-run last of the seventh. With one away, Gorton hit a two-run two-bagger to center to Anthony Titano and Stanley to tie the game at 4-4. The next batter, Yahn hit his second sacrifice fly in as many innings, this time to center, to plate Britton Lawrence to give the hosts a one-run lead.
- In the last of the eighth with two outs, Eastern got an insurance run as Stanley singled to left to chase home Jordan Laboy to give the Eagles a two-run cushion at 6-4.
- Washington went down in order in the top of the ninth to end the ballgame.
For The Shoremen (16-5)
- Hitting: Barclay and Otto (two RBI), O'Donnell (2-for-4, run)
- Pitching: Nick Popolizio (loss 1-3, one inning, three hits, three runs, three earned, one walk, one strikeout), Nick Roberti (six innings, seven hits, two runs, two earned, zero walks, three strikeouts)
- Washington had eight hits and drew six walk, while leaving nine on base.
- The Shoremen had zero errors in the game.
For Eastern (6-7)
- Hitting: Stanley (3-for-4, two runs), Gorton (3-for-4, two RBI), Yahn (two RBI), Laboy (2-for-4, run)
- Pitching: Andrew Walters (win 1-0, two scoreless innings of relief, one hit and walk, two strikeouts), Colyn Hoffer (six innings, seven hits, four runs, four earned, five walks, four strikeouts)
- The Eagles notched 12 hits and drew two walks as they left seven on base.
- Eastern had zero errors in the game.
- It was the second meeting in three years between the Shoremen and the Eagles as the teams played to a 6-6 tie in 2016. Barclay tied the game in the bottom of the ninth with a three-run home and the game was called due to darkness minutes later.
3/31 v. Franklin & Marshall – 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Doubleheader)
- It will be the opening two conference games for the Shoremen.