Gillmer Plates Four and Tallies Two Hits and Two Runs
FORT PIERCE, Fla. – The Washington College baseball team used an 11-run bottom of the fourth inning to turn a 5-2 deficit into a 13-5 lead on its way to a 13-6 victory over Cairn on Thursday afternoon at Lawnwood Baseball Complex in non-conference baseball action. The Shoremen up their record to 10-3 with the win, while the Highlanders drop to 7-4.
Washington College 13 Cairn 6
How It Happened
- The Highlanders got on the board in the top of the first inning on a one out single to centerfield by Emilio Alvarez that plated Jacob Allen. With two away, Brett Marks singled to center to plate both Alvarez and Alejandro Fernandez to give Cairn a 3-0 lead.
- Washington got onto the board with a two-out base hit to center by Ryan Donnelly that plated Aaron Barclay to trim the lead to 3-1. The Shoremen got within one when Ryan Zwier scored on an error by Cairn.
- Nathan Wilson's two out base hit in the top of the second to left plated Brian Amantia to give Cairn a 4-2 after an inning-and-a-half. In the top of the third, Daniel Morales came home on a wild pitch to give the Highlanders a 5-2 lead with two away.
- The Shoremen answered in the last of the fourth with 11 runs to take a 13-5 lead. WC had the first two batters reach in the bottom of the fourth and the third hitter of the frame, Gavin O'Donnell singled to center to score Donnelly to trim the lead to 5-3. The next batter, CJ Gillmer singled through the right side to drive home Matt Tancredi to reduce Cairn's lead to 5-4. Chris Kramedas would reach on a single to the pitcher to load the bases as WC had the first five hitters get on. With one away, Aaron Barclay hit into a fielder's choice. While the Highlanders got Kramedas out at second for the second out, O'Donnell and Gillmer scored on the play the give the Shoremen their first lead of the afternoon at 6-5. Following a pitching change by Cairn, Evan Hirschbaum singled to center to chase in Barclay to make it 7-5. Tancredi would extend the Shoremen's lead to four on a two-run single to center that knocked in both Zwier and Hirschbaum. Following a hit by pitch to O'Donnell to load the bases, Gillmer cleared the bases with a triple left-center to score Donnelly, Tancredi and O'Donnell to give Washington a 12-5 lead. Kramedas would keep the inning going with a run scoring base hit up the middle to score Gillmer and make it 13-5 and cap the scoring in the frame as the Shoremen sent 15 players to the dish in the last of the fourth.
- Cairn got an unearned run in the top of the ninth to provide the final margin. The run ended a streak of 24 2/3 innings of scoreless relief by the Shoremen bullpen.
For The Shoremen (10-3)
- Hitting: Gillmer (2-for-4, four RBI, two runs), Donnelly (1-for-1, two runs, walk, RBI), Zwier (2-for-3, two runs, walk), Barclay (two runs and two RBI), Tancredi (2-for-3, two runs, two RBI, walk), Kramedas (2-for-4), O'Donnell (two runs)
- Pitching: Mike Smith (4 2/3 innings, six hits, five runs, four earned, four walks, nine strikeouts), Dom Giandonato (win 2-0, 1 1/3 innings, one hit, zero runs, zero walks, one strikeout).
- Washington had 13 hits, drew five walks and had two batters reach via hit by pitch while leaving six on base.
- The Shoremen had five errors in the game, leading to two runs for the Highlanders.
For Cairn (7-4)
- Hitting: Wilson (2-for-4, two runs, walk), Allen (2-for-5), Marks (two RBI)
- Pitching: Eric Stinglen (loss 1-2, 3 2/3 innings, six hits, eight runs, seven earned, three walks, five strikeouts), Nat Ross (4 1/3 innings, four hits, zero runs, one walk, three strikeouts)
- The Highlanders notched eight hits and drew four walks as they left 10 on base.
- Cairn had one error in the game and led to one unearned run for Washington.
- Today was the first of two meetings against Cairn this season as the teams will play on March 26 in Chestertown.
3/16 v. Bethany (W.V.) @ Fort Pierce, Fla. – 10:00 a.m. (Non-Conference Doubleheader)