Zwier Picks Up Two Hits For Shoremen and WC Bullpen Tosses 4 2/3 Innings of Shutout Ball
FORT PIERCE, Fla. – Earlham got a complete game victory from Walter Talcott on its way to a 3-0 win over Washington College on Tuesday at Lawnwood Baseball Complex in non-conference baseball action. The Quakers improve to 12-0 with the win, while the Shoremen fall to 9-3 and had their five-game winning streak come to an end.
Earlham 3 Washington College 0
How It Happened
- Washington loaded the bases with two outs in the top of the first inning courtesy of a base hit and two Earlham errors, but Quakers' pitcher Talcott escaped trouble when he got Ryan Donnelly to fly out to centerfield for the third out.
- The Quakers scored the game's first run in the last of the third when Brian Pincura singled to center with nobody out to score Kendal Baker.
- Earlham pushed its lead to 2-0 in the bottom of the fourth when Dre Davis singled to left to score Addison Robinson with nobody out. Ian Bach extended the lead to three on a base hit to left that scored Davis with one away.
- The Shoremen would not get the tying run to the plate in the final five innings of the contest as Talcott retired the final 11 hitters and 15 of the 17 batters Washington sent to the plate from the fifth inning on.
For The Shoremen (9-3)
- Hitting: Ryan Zwier (2-for-4)
- Pitching: Ethan Osgood (loss 1-1, 3 1/3 innings, six hits, three runs, two earned, zero walks, four strikeouts), Matt Furlong (2 1/3 scoreless innings, one hit, zero walks, three strikeouts), Nick Popolizio and Sean Weiss (one scoreless inning each).
- Washington had five hits, drew zero walk and had a runner reach via hit by pitch while leaving eight on base.
- The Shoremen had three errors in the game, leading one run for the Quakers.
For Earlham (12-0)
- Hitting: Marc Gendreau (2-for-4), Bach (1-for-2, RBI, walk), Davis (1-for-4, run, RBI), Pincura (1-for-3, RBI), Robertson (1-for-4, run)
- Pitching: Talcott (win 3-0, complete game five-hit shutout, zero walks, five strikeouts)
- The Quakers notched seven hits and drew two walks as they left five on base.
- Earlham had three errors in the game.
- It was first all-time meeting between Washington and Earlham on the baseball diamond.
- The Shoremen bullpen has not allowed a run in the last 20 innings of work.
3/15 v. Cairn @ Fort Pierce, Fla. – 1:00 p.m. (Non-Conference Game)
- It will be the first of two meetings against Cairn as the teams will play on March 26 in Chestertown.