Washington Wins 6-2 in Game One and 4-3 in Game Two; Lozupone Tallies 100th Career Hit In Opener
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Host Washington College swept a non-conference doubleheader against visiting Lancaster Bible on Saturday at Athey Baseball Park. The Shoremen took game one, 6-2, and rallied from 3-1 down to win, 4-3, in game two. It was the season opening games for the Shoremen as head coach Cory Beddick won his first two games as skipper of the Shoremen. The Chargers drop to 0-4 on the season with the two losses.
Washington College 6 Lancaster Bible 2 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- Lancaster Bible took a 1-0 lead in the top of the third inning when Braden Elliott plated Jacob Schenck on an RBI groundout to second base with nobody out. The Chargers had a runner on third with one out, but could not score.
- The Shoremen took a 2-1 lead with a one out two-run single to right-center in the last of the third by Luke D'Ostilio that scored both Gavin O'Donnell and Chris Kramedas.
- Washington pushed its lead to 3-1 on a two-out single to shortstop by O'Donnell that drove in Matt Tancredi. The hard hit ball by O'Donnell hit the lower leg of the Chargers' Elliott and ricocheted into left field.
- In the last of the fifth, Joe Lozupone worked out a bases loaded full count walk to force home Evan Hirschbaum to make it 5-1 with two away. With one out, Hirschbaum singled to right-center to plate Aaron Barclay to give Washington a three-run cushion.
- The Chargers trimmed the lead to 5-2 with Will Welsh coming home on a two-run error with one out and that chased Washington starting pitcher P.J. Mikulus. The Shoremen summoned Nick Popolizio out of the bullpen and he retired the next two batters to preserve the three run lead. Popolizio got JJ Sanchez for the second out on a slow comebacker and the third out was recorded when Kramedes made a running grab of a fly ball to shallow left by Schenck.
- WC restored its four-run lead, 6-2, in the bottom of the sixth on a two-out double down the right field line to drive in Kramedas.
For The Shoremen (1-0)
- Hitting: Hirschbaum (3-for-4, two RBI), D'Ostilio (two RBI), Kramedas (two runs)
- Pitching: Mikulus (win 1-0, 5 1/3 innings, five hits, two runs, zero earned, two walks, one strikeout), Popolizio (save 1, 1 2/3 innings, zero hits, runs and walks, two strikeouts)
- Washington had nine hits and drew four walks, while leaving seven on base.
- The Shoremen had three errors in the game, leading to two runs by the Chargers.
For Lancaster Bible (0-3)
- Hitting: Welsh (2-for-3, run)
- Pitching: Noah McMullen (loss 0-2, four innings, five hits, three runs, three earned, one walk, one strikeout)
- The Chargers notched five hits and drew two walks as they left seven on base.
- The visitors had one error in the game, leading to zero unearned runs for WC.
- Hirschbaum was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the webcast of the contest.
- Beddick won his Washington College debut.
- Lozupone tallied his 100th career hit in the bottom of the third inning on a leadoff single through the right side. He became the 30th Washington player to record 100 or more career hits.
Washington College 4 Lancaster Bible 3 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- The Shoremen scored on a two-out pop fly single to shallow center off the bat of Ryan Zwier that scored D'Ostilio from third in the bottom of the first.
- Lancaster Bible tied the game on a two-out single up the middle by Josh Mayer that chased home Chris Sipple for an unearned run.
- Tied 1-1 in the last of the fourth with one away, TC Conrad dropped a bunt on the suicide squeeze to try to score Ryan Donnelly from third base, but Chargers' pitcher Elliott fielded the ball and tagged Donnelly out about 10 feet from home plate to preserve the tie as the scored remained tied after four.
- The Chargers scored twice in the top of the fifth to take a 3-1 lead. With nobody out, Sam Taylor scored on a throwing error to make it 2-1 and with one away Adam Cohick hit a sacrifice fly to shallow right to score Elliott.
- Washington answered in the last of the fifth with a run to cut the lead to 3-2 on a two-out single to the pitcher by Donnelly that knocked in Hirschbaum.
- In the bottom of the sixth with one away, Barclay singled through the left side to score both Conrad and D'Ostilio to give the hosts a 4-3 lead.
- Shoremen pitcher Sean Weiss retired the Chargers in order in the top of the seventh to seal the deal and complete the sweep.
For The Shoremen (2-0)
- Hitting: Barclay (2-for-4, two RBI), D'Ostilio (two runs), Zwier (two walks, run scored)
- Pitching: Weiss (win 1-0, two innings, zero hits, zero runs, one walk), Brian Kasey (five innings, six hits, three runs, one earned, three walks, two strikeouts)
- Washington had seven hits, drew four walks and had two hitters reach via hit by pitch, while leaving 10 on base.
- The Shoremen had four errors in the game, leading to two Lancaster Bible unearned runs.
For Lancaster Bible (0-4)
- Hitting: Elliott (2-for-4, run)
- Pitching: Elliott (loss 0-1, 2 2/3 innings, five hits, three runs, two earned, one walk), Dan Zimmerman (three innings, two hits, one run, one earned, three walks, three strikeouts)
- The Chargers notched six hits and drew four walks as they left eight on base.
- The visitors had two errors in game two, leading to one unearned run for WC.
- Barclay was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the webcast of the contest.
- Washington had the leadoff batter reach five times in six tries in the second game.
- Shoremen pitchers allowed just one earned run in the twinbill.
2/28 v. Catholic – 2:30 p.m. (Non-Conference Game)