Griffin Strikes Out 12 Batters in Five Innings of Work
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Senior outfielder Charlie Meder (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Ludlowe) hit a grand slam and senior pitcher Billy Griffin (Middletown, Md./Middletown) struck out 12 batters in just five innings of work as host Washington College defeated visiting Gallaudet, 9-4, in a non-conference baseball game today at Athey Park.
Washington College 9, Gallaudet 4
How It Happened
- Austin Sliva-Wynne hit an RBI single to left with one out in the top of the fourth for a 1-0 Gallaudet lead. Zack Crawford scored the Bison's second run later in the inning when he scored from third base on an error.
- The Shoremen got on the board in the bottom of the fifth thanks to an RBI single by Gavin O'Donnell. A bases-loaded walk by Matt Tancredi then evened the score at 2-2. Charlie Meder followed with a grand slam to right field to clear the bases and put the Shoremen in front, 6-2.
- Meder drove in another run with a two-out RBI single to center in the bottom of the sixth as the Shoremen's lead grew to 7-2.
- Kyle Gumm hit an RBI single and Connor Rosko scored on an error for the Bison in the top of the seventh to cut the lead to 7-4. In the bottom of the seventh, The Shoremen's eighth run came across in the bottom the seventh when Ryan Donnelly stole home during a delayed double steal. O'Donnell drove in the ninth with an RBI single to right center later in the inning.
For the Shoremen (9-10)
- Hitting: Meder (2-for-5, grand slam, double, 5 RBI, run); O'Donnell (3-for-3, double, walk, 2 RBI, 2 runs); Chris Kramedas (2 walks, 2 runs, 2 stolen bases); Donnelly (triple, walk, stolen base, run)
- Pitching: Billy Griffin (win, 5 innings, 2 runs, 1 earned, 3 hits, 1 walk, 12 strikeouts); Logan Dubbé (save, 4 innings, 2 runs, 1 earned, 3 hits, no walks, 5 strikeouts)
For Gallaudet (5-12)
- Hitting: Dylan Hayes (2-for-4, run, stolen base)
- Pitching: Blake Phillips (loss, 6 innings, 7 runs, 6 hits, 6 walks, 2 strikeouts); Michael Ehlers (2 innings, 1 run, 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 strikeout)
- O'Donnell was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game during the webcast of the game.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/28 v. Salisbury - 3:30 p.m.