Hirschbaum Homers in Game Two for Shoremen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Widener University swept both ends of a season-opening non-conference baseball double-header from host Washington College this afternoon at Athey Park. The Pride, defending champions of the MAC Commonwealth, won the first game, 4-2, and the second, 8-3.
Widener 4, Washington College 2 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- Wes Robertson had a potential home run robbed in the bottom of the first inning as Greg McDonough reached over the center field fence to save the run for Widener. The Shoremen got on the board in the bottom of the second when Aaron Barclay doubled to deep left center and scored on an error two batters later.
- Nicholas Enos put Widener in front, 2-1, with a two-out, two-run double to right center in the top of the fourth. Stephen DeBellis led off the top of the fifth with a towering home run to left field for a 3-1 Widener lead.
- The Shoremen got a run back in the bottom of the fifth when Jay Felts plated Charlie Meder with a two-out pinch-hit single to right.
- Widener added an insurance run in the top of the seventh as DeBellis led off with a double and later scored on a fielder's choice.
For the Shoremen (0-1)
- Hitting: Barclay (2-for-3, double, run); Meder (double, run)
- Pitching: Billy Griffin (loss, 4.2 innings, 3 runs, 8 strikeouts, 5 hits, no walks); Logan Dubbé (2.1 innings, 1 run, 2 strikeouts, 2 hits, 1 walk)
For Widener (1-0)
- DeBellis (2-for-3, double, home run, RBI, run); Enos (double, 2 RBI)
- Kyle McKelvy (win, 5 innings, 1 earned run, 6 strikeouts, 5 hits, no walks); Bryson Turner (1 innings, 1 hit, one walk); Elliot Snyder (save, 1 inning, 1 walk, no hits)
- Barclay was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the game's webcast.
Widener 8, Washington College 3 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- Michael Elfreth led off the game with a double and later scored on a wild pitch to give Widener a quick 1-0 lead. Widener added three more runs in the top of the third on a two-run triple by Bob Barnett and an RBI single by Justin Healey.
- Evan Hirschbaum homered with two outs in the bottom of the fourth to put the Shoremen on the board. The Shoremen cut the lead to 4-3 on a one-out, two-run single up the middle by Joe Lozupone in the bottom of the fifth.
- The Pride pushed the lead back to two on a Nick D'Alessandro single in the top of the sixth. In the top of the seventh, McDonough hit a one-out, two-run double to center and later scored on an error to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (0-2)
- Hitting: Hirschbaum (2-for-3, home run); Lozupone (2-for-3, 2 RBI); Meder (double, run)
- Pitching: Brian Kasey (loss, 3.0 innings, 4 runs); Billy Benson (2.2 innings, 1 run, 1 hit, 4 strikeouts, no walks)
For Widener (2-0)
- Hitting: Healey (2-for-4, run, RBI, stolen base); D'Alessandro (2-for-4, RBI); Enos (2-for-4); Elfreth (1-for-2, double, walk, 3 runs); McDonough (double, walk, 2 runs, 2 RBI); Barnett (triple, run, 2 RBI)
- Donovan Davis (win, 5 innings, 3 runs, 7 strikeouts, 1 walk, 5 hits); Joey Zettlemoyer (save, 2 innings, 3 strikeouts, 1 hit, no walks)
- Hirschbaum was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the game's webcast.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/1 v. Catholic - 2:30 p.m.