Spring Break With Shoremen Baseball In South Carolina

Spring Break With Shoremen Baseball In South Carolina
by Andrew Chirico '18
Note: This story also appears in the April issue of the Sho'men Club Newsletter. To become a member of the Sho'men Club, click here.

Sophomore Andrew Chirico, a sophomore student worker in the Athletic Communications office traveled with the baseball team for spring break to score and broadcast the games for the Shoremen Nine. Here is his experience...

Saturday, March 12th
On Saturday morning, I hauled all of my bags over towards The Cain Athletic Center to hop on the bus. At around 5:30 a.m. the Washington College baseball program and myself made our way to Raleigh, North Carolina to spend the night. When we got to North Carolina, the team practiced at The U.S.A. training facilities in Cary. I was able to walk around the facility and check out the main press box, which was awesome. After that we went to the hotel to settle in and I then went out to dinner with some of the guys, including Ryan Stevens, Logan Dubbé, Nick Roberti, and TC Conrad. The team has been very welcoming. After a long day, I am ready to kick back, watch some college basketball, work on some game notes for tomorrow and then fall asleep.

Sunday, March 13th
After a long day yesterday, being able to get some quality sleep was needed. I started my day waking up before sunrise to get my Sunday morning workout in. After the workout, I went to get breakfast with the team and then at around 11 a.m. we made our way to Myrtle Beach. We all checked into our rooms, settled in for a while, and then left the resort at 6:30 p.m. or so to get
to The Ripken Experience ball fields.

First pitch against Albertus Magnus was set for 8:30 p.m. under the lights and that came with a very exciting atmosphere. Broadcasting and doing live stats at the same time was something I have never done so it was a little difficult for the first game, especially when there were substitutes. The Shoremen went on to put up 24 runs in the first game, leading them to a win in their opener for spring break. The game ended around midnight or so and I couldn't wait to get to bed after the long day.

Monday, March 14th
I got up around 7 a.m. to get my workout and breakfast in before we left the hotel at 10 a.m. for a noon first pitch against Albertus Magnus. We ended up to taking both games by a pretty large margin, especially the second game. I felt a lot more comfortable working the live stats while doing
play-by-play. The interns in the press box at The Ripken Experience were very friendly and great to work with.
A couple of parents approached my after the game and shared some compliments with the broadcasts the past days, which meant a lot to me. Hearing positive feedback from anyone is great, but when a whole group of parents do it, it was humbling.

We got back to the resort at around 5:30 p.m. where I ended up eating dinner and finishing up some game notes for tomorrow's double header versus Principia.

Tuesday, March 15th
Started of my morning as usual with a workout before breakfast. The Shoremen were set to take on Principia College in another doubleheader with scheduled first pitches set at 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.

We all left the hotel at 7:00 a.m. and were one of the first to arrive at The Ripken Experience. Both games were in favor of WC. In fact, the Shoremen outscored Principia 19-3 to pull the sweep. I had another great time calling both games. Being able to broadcast wins like these has been an amazing time. Game after game I am feeling more confident on the call, especially while doing live statistics.

With the two early games we had some much needed free time in the afternoon, which started around 3 p.m. with a nice visit to the beach. I took around a half hour nap to catch up on lost sleep and then grabbed some dinner before catching Ohio State play a 7 p.m. game in basketball.

Wednesday, March 16th
The game versus Alfred State got changed to a matchup versus Benedict College at 3 p.m. I took full advantage of the beautiful morning and afternoon by lounging at the beach for a couple of hours.

After lounging out in the sun we left the hotel at around 1 p.m. to the field. I did my normal routine with setting up in the press box and pulling up my game notes. This game was hands down the most exciting game throughout this trip. WC was able to defeat Division II Benedict 3-2. Benedict got ahead 2-0 early in the first inning and held the lead until later on the game where
the Shoremen scored three unanswered runs to pull the upset.

After the game, I went back to the hotel, grabbed dinner and a smoothie and hung out by the beach until bed.

Thursday, March 17th
The last and final day was an early one. Before leaving the hotel at 7 a.m. I grabbed a quick breakfast in the lobby and packed up my bags. WC then took on Alfred State at 9 a.m. It was another successful win. 7-4, and we left Myrtle Beach with a 7-0 record in South Carolina.

We then hit the road back to Chestertown! Reflecting back on the trip, Reflecting back on trip, I am so glad I decided to go down and broadcast for the fans. Having parents come up to with compliments easily was one of the best parts. Gameafter game, I was feeling more fluent with each call. At the end of this trip, I learned a lot more about the baseball program along with getting some great practice with play-by-play. Can't wait for next year!