Tancredi collects four hits; Barclay, Hirschbaum each drive in two runs in the upset
WESTMINSTER, Md. — Visiting Washington College scored three runs in the top of the first inning and never looked back as the Shoremen upset host #22 McDaniel 6-2 in a Centennial Conference game played on Preston Field in Westminster, Maryland this afternoon. The Shoremen improve to 17-3-1 overall, 1-0 in the Centennial with the win, while the Green Terror dropped to 20-3 overall, 1-2 in the Centennial with the loss.
Washington College 6, #22 McDaniel 2
How It Happened
- The Shoremen took the lead in the top of the first inning when sophomore Matt Tancredi, who led off the game with a single to right field, scored on a passed ball to make it 1-0.
- Junior Evan Hirschbaum then hit a two out, two run home run, his fourth home run of the season, that scored senior Bryan Baquer to give the Shoremen a 3-0 lead.
- McDaniel got on the board in the bottom half of the inning when Marty Windisch hit an RBI single to score Sean Sivo to cut the Shoremen lead to 3-1.
- Neither team scored again until a Tancredi RBI double in the seventh inning scored freshman TC Conrad to make it a 4-1 lead for Washington.
- Freshman Aaron Barclay then hit a two out RBI single that scored Tancredi to give the Shoremen a 5-1 lead.
- An Eric Grantland RBI single in the bottom of the inning scored Windisch and cut the lead to 5-2. The Green Terror then loaded the bases, but Washington reliever Mike Bartels struck out Michael Gallagher to strand the bases loaded.
- Barclay hit a sacrifice fly in the top of the ninth inning that scored Baquer to make it a 6-2 Shoremen lead and round out the scoring.
For the Shoremen (17-3-1, 1-0 CC)
- Hitting: Tancredi (career high 4 hits in 5 at bats, double, RBI, 2 runs), Hirschbaum (home run, 2 RBI's, run), Baquer (2-for-4, 2 doubles, walk, 2 runs), Barclay (2 RBI's), Charlie Meder (2-for-4, double)
- Pitching: Brian Kasey (win, 1-1, 6 2/3 innings, 9 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, 6 strikeouts), Bartels (save, 2, 2 1/3 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout)
- The Shoremen smacked 12 hits, drew two walks, and left nine runners on base in the upset win.
- The defense committed one error, but it led to zero runs for McDaniel.
For #22 McDaniel (20-3, 1-2 CC)
- Hitting: Windisch (3-for-5, RBI, run), Cameron Bahr (3-for-4, walk), Grantland (RBI, walk)
- Pitching: Windisch (loss, 6-1, 7 innings, 9 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned, 1 walk, 11 strikeouts), Austin Fry (2 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 1 walk)
- The Green Terror had 10 hits in the loss, all of which were singles
- The defense committed a pair of errors, leading to a pair of unearned runs
- Today's win is the first Shoremen win over a ranked team since a 7-3 win over #3 Johns Hopkins on April 23rd, 2013.
- Barclay and Hirschbaum are now number one and two in the Centennial Conference in home runs.
- Today was the 126th meeting between the Green Terror and the Shoremen. With the win, Washington takes the lead in the series, 63-62-1, and has now won the last five meetings between the two programs in Westminster.
Up Next for the Shoremen
4/8 v. #22 McDaniel - 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)