WESTMINSTER, Md. — Host McDaniel College scored nine of the game's final 10 points to pull away for a 50-41 Centennial Conference women's basketball game tonight in Westminster, Md.
McDaniel 50, Washington College 41
How It Happened
- McDaniel raced out to an 18-4 lead as a three-pointer by Caroline Ward with 1:40 on the clock in the first quarter gave the Green Terror the 14-point advantage. A Kat Moore free throw 29 seconds later and a Bridget McLaughlin three for the Shorewomen with 26 seconds to go cut the lead back to 10 at 18-8.
- The Shorewomen carried that momentum over into the second quarter as a jumper by Emily Thiemann completed a 15-2 run to get the Shorewomen to within one point at 20-19 with 5:11 to go in the second quarter. The Green Terror held Washington off, however, bringing a 26-21 lead into halftime.
- A Liv Storer jumper with 7:56 to go in the third pushed the McDaniel lead out to seven at 28-21. Washington rallied to again get within one point on a McLaughlin jumper with 1:09 left in the period, but a pair of free throws by Jamese Word closed out the period with the Green Terror holding a 37-33 advantage.
- McDaniel scored the first four points of the fourth quarter to extend the lead to 41-33 on a Melanie Yeomans lay-up 54 seconds in. The Shorewomen scored the next seven points to once again get back within one, this time on a Caitlyn Clark three-pointer with 5:59 to go. The Green Terror then went on their decisive game-ending run, holding Washington to just one made free throw and no made field goals the rest of the way.
For the Shorewomen (4-13, 2-10 Centennial Conference)
- McLaughlin (7 points, 3 assists); Cassidy Quattro (6 points, 9 rebounds)
- Washington shot 28% from the field, 33% from three-point range, and 54% from the free-throw line.
- The Shorewomen held a 49-35 rebounding advantage.
For McDaniel (8-9, 6-6 Centennial Conference)
- Storer (15 points, 6 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 steals); Jasmine Smith (10 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists)
- McDaniel shot 32% from the field, 29% from three-point range, and 53% at the foul line.
- The Green Terror committed just eight turnovers in the game to the Shorewomen's 18.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
1/25 @ Swarthmore - 6:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)