Quattro Posts Fourth Career Double-Double With Game-Highs of 13 Points and 13 Boards
ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – The Washington College women's basketball team opened its season with a win for the first time since 2014-15 with a 75-36 victory over Goucher on Friday evening at the Michael P. O'Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena on the first night of the Dan Greene Memorial Invitational hosted by St. Mary's (Md.). The 39-point win is the largest margin of victory for the Shorewomen in a season opener, topping the previous high of 28 in a 64-36 win over Philadelphia Pharmacy exactly 22 years ago today.
Washington College 75 Goucher 36
How It Happened
- After allowing the first point of the game, the Shorewomen scored 11 straight points to take an 11-1 lead with 4:38 left in the first quarter on two free throws by Rosie Martin. Brynne Brouse closed out the scoring on a layup with nine ticks left in the first to give Washington a 16-5 lead after one.
- Bridget McLaughlin gave Washington a 28-9 lead with 4:15 remaining in the second quarter on a jumper as Goucher did not hit double figures until 17 seconds later on a Nailah Jones bucket to cut the lead to 28-11.
- Jones basket began an 8-2 run that trimmed the Shorewomen's lead to 30-17 with 1:48 left on a jumper in the paint by Anna Kirn.
- Washington would answer with a coast to coast layup by Kristi Kozlowski with 19 ticks left to make it 32-17 and Taylor Samuels capped the second quarter scoring on a put back lay-in with four ticks left to give the Shorewomen a 34-17 lead at halftime.
- In the third quarter, Washington outscored Goucher, 18-9, to take a 52-26 lead after three quarters and in the fourth quarter, the Shorewomen outscored the Gophers by a 23-10 margin.
For The Shorewomen (1-0)
- Cassidy Quattro (contest-highs of 13 points and 13 rebounds), Kozlowski (game-best three steals and eight boards), Brouse (eight points), McLaughlin (seven points)
- Washington shot 37% from the field (31-for-85), 33% from three-point range (4-for-12) and 64% from the foul line (9-for-14).
- The Shorewomen outscored the Gophers by a 30-7 margin in points off of turnovers, 40-0 in bench points, 25-0 in second chance points, 42-18 in points in the paint and 16-0 in fast break points.
- On the glass, Washington outrebounded Goucher by a 58-30 margin, including a 32-4 advantage on the offensive boards.
- WC had just 10 turnovers in the game, while tallying 12 steals.
- Washington had 13 different players score in the win as nobody played more than 23 minutes.
For Goucher (0-2)
- Kerry Chun (team-high 12 points), Jones (11 points and team-best eight boards).
- Goucher shot 30% from the field (12-for-40), 0% from behind the arc (0-for-4) and 67% from foul line (12-for-18).
- The Gophers committed 25 turnovers in the loss.
- It was the first meeting between the two schools since a 63-48 Washington win on December 10, 2011.
- The 36 points allowed ties for the fewest points allowed by the Shorewomen in a season opener as Washington allowed 36 in the win over Philadelphia Pharmacy on November 17, 1995.
- Quattro notched her fourth career double-double in the win and four of the team's last five double-doubles.
- The Shorewomen have won seven of eight all-time meetings with the Gophers.
- WC won its first season opener since a 59-49 win over Brooklyn on November 15, 2014 at Ramapo in New Jersey.
- The 75 points is the second most by a Washington team in a season opener. Only the 2001-02 team scored more in a season opener, 85, in a 90-85 overtime loss against visiting Marietta. The Shorewomen scored 76 points in regulation on November 16, 2001 versus Marietta.
11/18 @ St. Mary's (Md.) – 3:00 p.m. (second and final day of invitational)
- The Shorewomen beat St. Mary's 54-45 last December 17 in Chestertown and have won four straight in the series.