Davis Converts Penalty Stroke Goal For Washington and Domanico Stops Career-High 10 Shots
GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Gettysburg's Tori Sankey scored the game-winning goal 4:13 into the overtime period from Kathryn Hardman to give the hosts a 2-1 win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference field hockey game on Saturday afternoon at Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium. The winning score came just two minutes after an apparent walk-off goal by the Shorewomen was wiped out due to the Bullets' goalie losing her helmet during the sequence.
Gettysburg 2 Washington College 1
How It Happened
- In overtime, the Shorewomen appeared to have won the game a little over two minutes into the extra session on an Olivia Auer score. However, the goal did not count as during the play, Bullets' goalie Haley Mowery lost her helmet blowing the play dead following a discussion by the officials.
- The Shorewomen's last shot came at 72:28 by Sophie Grabiec, but her shot went wide right.
- Sankey scored her shot 4:13 into the extra time from the left post after Hardman to grab the rebound of a shot by Hannah Fitzgerald and passed it over to Sankey who put it past WC goalie Morgan Domanico to give the Bullets the walk-off win.
-The Bullets struck for the contest's opening goal at the 7:00 mark in transition down the right side as Lily Neibart blasted a goal from the right side off of a pass from Lindsay Kraus.
-Washington evened the game with 7:21 to go in the opening half when Elizabeth Davis scored on a penalty stroke after a violation the circle by Gettysburg.
- The Bullets final chance in regulation came with 3:03 to go on a Samantha Wright shot that sailed wide right.
- The Shorewomen had four chances to win the game in regulation in the final minute. Gettysburg's Nina Diamond tallied a defensive save off of a shot by Allison Remenapp with 51 seconds left and Mowery turned away a Davis shot with 22 ticks to go. Gettysburg was whistled for a pair of fouls in the circle to give Washington two penalty corner chances after time expired, but WC could not convert either chance as Davis' first shot was blocked and the second went wide left.
For The Shorewomen (1-6, 0-2 CC)
- Scorer: Davis (1 goal)
- Goalkeeper: Domanico (10 saves, 2 goals allowed, 74:13)
- Washington had 12 shots and 12 penalty corners in the contest.
For Gettysburg (3-3, 1-2 CC)
- Scorers: Neibart (1 goal), Sankey (1 goal), Kraus (1 assist), Hardman (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Mowery (6 saves, 1 goal allowed, 74:13)
- Diamond (1 defensive save)
-The Bullets had 20 shots and 13 penalty corners in the game.
- It was the first overtime game between the two teams since 2010 and the third overtime game in the series. Gettysburg won 3-2 in 2007 and Washington won a Centennial Conference First Round game 2-1 in 2010. All three overtime games have been in Gettysburg.
9/27 v. Bryn Mawr - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
-Washington won 8-0 last season at Bryn Mawr and have won the last 22 meetings.