Zwier Goes 2-for-3 with an RBI Double in Loss
SALISBURY, Md. — 21st-ranked host Salisbury University scored 11 runs by the end of the fourth inning en route to a 17-3 non-conference baseball win over visiting Washington College this afternoon.
#21 Salisbury 17, Washington College 3
How It Happened
- The Sea Gulls got on the board in the bottom of the second inning thanks to a one-out RBI single up the middle by Colby Dean. Two-out RBI singles by Justin Meekins and Scott Ardoin followed and then Meekins later scored on a balk to push the Salisbury lead to 4-0 before the end of the inning.
- An RBI ground-out by Jimmy Adkins in the bottom of the third upped the advantage to 5-0.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Brad Haas drove in a run with a single, Jack Decker drew a bases-loaded walk, two runs scored on an error, and Dean hit a two-run double as the lead grew to 11-0.
- Washington scored its first run on an RBI double down the left-field line by Aaron Barclay in the top of the fifth.
- The Sea Gulls plated six more runs in the sixth to make the score 17-1. The first three runs came on a home run by Simon Palenchar.
- A pinch-hit RBI ground-out by Alex Bendzlowicz and an RBI single by Ryan Zwier in the top of the seventh accounted for the Shoremen's second and third runs.
For the Shoremen (4-2)
- Hitting: Zwier (2-for-3, double, walk, RBI); Barclay (double, RBI, run scored); Luke D'Ostilio (double, run scored, stolen base)
- Pitching: Nick Bauer (loss, 3 innings, 5 earned runs, 9 hits, walk, strikeout); Matt Furlong, Connor Morgan, Ethan Osgood, and Bendzlowiz (1 scoreless inning each)
- The Shoremen's three runs came on six hits and three Salisbury errors.
For Salisbury (2-2)
- Hitting: Dean (3-for-4, 3 RBI, 2 runs, double); Jack Barry (3-for-4, 3 runs, stolen base); Decker (2-for-2, 2 runs, RBI, 2 walks); Haas (2-for-4, 2 runs, RBI); Jay Perry (2-for-3, run, walk); Palenchar (home run, 3 RBI)
- Pitching: Wes Whitlock (4 innings, hit, 2 walks, no runs, 4 strikeouts); Connor Reeves (win, 2 innings, 2 hits, no walks, 1 unearned run, strikeout); Caleb Johnson and Jack Cheney (1 scoreless inning each)
- The Sea Gulls' 17 runs scored on 20 hits and three Shoremen errors.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/8 v. Wesley - 3:00 p.m.